deboning a flounder

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

deboning a flounder

Postby agengo02 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:35 pm

can anybody help me with steps to debone a flounder? id like to try one stuffed but dont want to have to worry about any bones. ive been googling for a week now with no luck! anybody know??
agengo02
hunter

Re: deboning a flounder

Postby Nomeite » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Try googling how to debone a halibut. I know that a flounder is way smaller but they are both flat fish. We sometimes get flounders here in Nome when we are fishing for salmon but those flounders we get are way too small.... Just trying to help.
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
Nomeite
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:34 pm

thanks i didnt even think to search for that!
agengo02
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm

just feliet the flounder and put the feilt down first and put the stuffing on top then bake thats the easyest way and no bones
clemaire2
hunter

Postby FITZH2O » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:47 am

If the flounder is less than 22ish" the easiest way IMO is to put the "stuffing" on the fillet and roll it up. Bigger flounder you can cut through the fillet and stuff em. :thumbsup:
FITZ

"COMMON SENSE IS AN UNCOMMON VIRTUE"

VEG*NHIPPIE Wrote - I'm from the UK, and it's not an issue here

UNDERRADAR REPLIED - Hey, good to know that. Coming up on July 4, we have a celebration. You know of it?
FITZH2O
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:32 pm

agengo02 wrote:can anybody help me with steps to debone a flounder? id like to try one stuffed but dont want to have to worry about any bones. ive been googling for a week now with no luck! anybody know??

What you want to do is lay the fish brown side up...and make a cut along the back bone right down the middle of the fish.
then fillet each side out to the fins...but do not cut the slab all the way off. grab a pair of kitchen scissors and cut the edge of the back bone where it meets the fins...start at the head end of the fish and work to the tail-on both sides....(you will leave the fin bones in for cooking).
Next, fillet the bottom of the fish off the bone once the back bone has been severed from the fin bones....start at the fin and work to the middle. last step is to cut the backbone away from the tail-leaving the tail on for baking...done.
now you can stuff and bake-when the fish is done cooking, pull the fin bones out with a butter knife, should slide right out 5-8 at a time...then you have your boneless stuffed flounder you can eat with a fork! :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby side-slippin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:20 pm

check you tube, there are a couple videos on there.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Did you find the de-boning flounder information you were looking for? I searched early in 2008 for the exact same thing and found a step by step guide to it and it worked great. I can go back and try to find that info if you'd like. I think it was on some Florida fishing forum, should have saved the link. Let me know.
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:40 pm

not exactly. no youtube videos, and the link you are refering to goes to a non existant site (i think the floride fishing site changed its url) and when it redirects me it asks for a log in and im not registered. think you can find something??
agengo02
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 am

Well after doing a little looking I realized that I did save the "favorite" to the deboning flounder guide and it's the link to the florida fishing forum that has moved. I searched on the new forum and didn't have any luck finding it. It was a good guide because it had several pictures of various stages of the proccess. Indaswamp's description is pretty acurate though. I'll explain how I do it as well. I actually have three that I've deboned in the freezer right now along with 5 or 6 bags of fillets. I should have snapped some pics myself.

1. First off I use a stainless steel wire brush and "scrub" the fish against the scales to remove them. Some people have told me flounder don't have scales, but they do. 2. After I have removed the scales from both sides I'll remove the head. You don't have to remove the head but it will give you a little working room down the road. 3. Next, (brown side up), I cut along the backbone down to the tail and slowly work outward along the rib cage, (if you can call it that) to the outside fins. You don't want to cut too far. Just cut as far as you can without protruding through the skin. 4. At this point I'll flip the fish over, (white side up), and slowly work my fillet knife between the spine/ribs and the meat. Be patient and don't get frustrated. It helps me to have a cold beer or two at hand because, for me, it's easy to just say the hell with it and fillet her if it's not going to my liking. If you want to simply cut along the spine on this side same as you did on the top that's fine, it doesn't really matter. I do it this way because it creates a nice pocket. I have actually done this like the guide I mentioned said to, and you never cut along the spine on either side and end up with a flounder "glove" when you're done. The only down side of doing that, is you can't fit very much stuffing in it. 5. Anyway, once you finished cutting between the spine/ribs and meat on the underside of the flounder you want to take some shears strong enough to cut the bones that run out to the fins. You want to cut as close as you can to the outside, (fins), so you remove as much bone as possible. Just work your way towards the tail on each side. You may need to switch back and forth between the sides doing a little at a time until you reach the base of the tail. 6. Once you reach the tail, cut the bones out by cutting the spine off as close as you can to the tail. At this point, you're done. Cook to your liking. Hope this helps. I'll take some pics the next time I do it and try to make my own guide. Let me know if you have any questions.
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby crockerag » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:23 am

Just cut the head off the flounder and pull the guts out. Scrape the scales off and then butterfly the top of the fish. Dont worry about the bones. Fill the cut with the stuffing and flip the two flaps of flesh on top of stuffing. You will waste a lot of meat if you filet or debone the flounder. After you cook the fish you can remove the entire skeleton easily.
crockerag
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking