Duck Hunting Forum banner

Oven Jerky?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Cheetah 
#1 ·
I am going to make oven ground goose Jerky for the first time, tips, temp, time, etc. Thanks!

#3 ·
Nothin to it. Most ovens don't run at a low enough temp, so you need to keep it cracked open a few inches with a wad of tinfoil. If you use cookie sheets, you need to flip the meat. If you use a wire rack, you probably won't. If you have a thermometer you can keep outside the oven but has a cord that goes to the probe inside, you can use that to monitor the oven temp to gauge if you need to open it up more or not. Airflow is also important, keeping it open helps. If your oven will cook at a low enough temp, I read about rigging up a small fan to sit inside to keep air flowing yet not melting the fan. I never figured out a way to do that with my oven though, too hot.

I don't remember the oven temp I was going for when I did it last year. It was in a book I had been reading. 165F sounds about right though.

For my jerky, 4-6 hours give or take. It depends a lot on how thick it is, ground vs strips, etc. I ruined a big batch of goose jerky strips because I let it go way too long one night...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.