New Duck Hunter, Is this meat SAFE?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

New Duck Hunter, Is this meat SAFE?

Postby DuckNoob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:48 pm

I went duck hunting for the first time today, and got two malards. One drake and one hen.

The meat on the hen looks strange. It has these little white globs in it. They look like miniature maggets but they aren't alive, so maybe like fat globules or something. Any help on this would be appreciated.

The first picture here is a photo of the Hen carcus after I cut out one breast. Notice the items I put a box around. These are the little white things. Also the item I circled was strange to me. I didn't notice it in the drake but had already thrown out the carcas so couldn't compare it. These are little black things poking in through the skin. looking at them from the outside it looks like a spot where a large feather would attach but there aren't any feathers of that type on the breast, or shouldn't be I would think.

This one is of the bird as I started to cut out the breast. you can see those white things pretty well here.

This one is of the breast after I cut it out, also showing those white things.

And this is the drake breasts that I cut out for a comparrison. These ones look like what I would think they should be.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to figure out what this is? Thanks in advance guys.
DuckNoob
Newb

Re: New Duck Hunter, Is this meat SAFE?

Postby DuckNoob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:58 pm

DuckNoob
Newb

Postby bluewing77 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:10 pm

so.... did it taste good?!?
bluewing77
hunter