"GOOD" Goose Recipes ??

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

"GOOD" Goose Recipes ??

Postby Buckwheat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Ol boy once told me the best way to eat a goose was to soak the goose in red wine and cook on a hickory plank. Then take and drink the wine and eat the plank and throw the goose in the trash. I've been shootin geese for years now but only have eat them one way because I'm scared I'll mess'em up and have to throw it out.

I put the breast halves in a crock-pot with 2 cans of mushroom gravy, 16oz of chicken stock, a onion (diced), salt, and pepper. Cook on high for bout 12 hours. Once done, take a fork and kinda grind it up into a hash and eat over biscuits. Now it's mighty fine eatin that way, but I was wonderin what other recipes I could try and feel good about it. Let me know :beer:
The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
-Walter Cronkite

To the deer hunter, there are only 3 that truely matter: The first one, the biggest one, and the next one.
-B
Buckwheat
hunter

Re: "GOOD" Goose Recipes ??

Postby Ramsey84 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:09 am

I've been eating a lot of goose, especially snow goose as fajitas. Take and cut up into thin strips, marinate in Allegro hot and spicy for about 20-30 minutes, longer if you like them real hot. Then brown the meat in a skillet with a little butter, add a diced onion, sliced red or green bell pepper, a packet of fajita seasoning, and cook until veggies are tender. Pile into a tortilla, lay a piece of hot pepper jack cheese, a few jalapenos, and a strip of ranch on and enjoy.
Ramsey84
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:08 pm

you are missing out my friend...try the goose Kabobs....do a search on DHC for them! best way to eat them period!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:33 pm

They're good breaded and fried thin and quick, just like chicken fingers. I like this also because it's quick- no marinating. I do this right out of the field and they taste great. Prefer ranch for dipping sauce
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Tried the fajitas.... man that'll make you wanna smack your grandma :bow: . Love it.
The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
-Walter Cronkite

To the deer hunter, there are only 3 that truely matter: The first one, the biggest one, and the next one.
-B
Buckwheat
hunter

Postby bamanative85 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:12 pm

I tried this one recently and it was awesome. I took some canadian geese breast fillets and marinated them in italian dressing in the fridge for about 2 hours. Then wrapped them with a piece of bacon and smothered them with parmesan cheese and put em on the barbecue grill till they were done. You might wanna give that a try. It's delicous.
"They call it huntin not killin"

09-10
blacktail deer 1
geese-2
ducks-0
grouse-1
pheasant-1
bamanative85
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:39 pm

I just posted this on another thread but just for you Buckwheat...I run the goose breast through a grinder and make gumbo with it, it would be good in chili too. I just use the Zatarans Gumbo mix, add 4 ground goose breast, a bag of frozen gumbo mixed vegetables, a little extra water and serve over rice. Quick and easy and very good. I brown the meat in the skillet with some crushed garlic before adding it to the gumbo. FYI the Zatarans says to add i lb of meat and 4 goose breast is usually just over 2 lbs which is why add the extra water and vegetables.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 am

best goose recipe i have found other than jerky is this one.

cut goose breast into thin jerky strips

take fresh jalapeno peppers and finely chop then take garlic cloves finely chop mix with cream cheese. Make jalapeno garlic cream cheese to your taste specs some like it hot others like it garlicy different strokes for different folks.

Then the strips i sprinkle on some mccormick perfict pinch orignal chicken seasoning.

take cream cheese put in center roll goose into a roll.

then wrap a peice of bacon around it so ends of rolls where cream cheese could leak are sealed. Then skewer with 2 or three toothpicks to hold it together. If one peice of bacon won't cover holes wrap another make sure cream cheese won't leak.

Grill at 400 degrees for 5 minutes on one side 7 minutes on the other let rest and serve. These are heavenly
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby duckblind1982 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 pm

I like the pulled goose in the crock pot.. I'm sure a lot of you have tried it but this is a good way to get rid of some meat.
First I put the goose breast in the crock covered with water, apple cider, 1/2 pack of McCormick slow cooker spice pack and some brown sugar. I usually put that on for 8 hrs or until you are able to shred the meat. After the first 4-6 hrs I dump all the liquid out and and cover the meat back up with straight appple cider and the other have of hte spice pack. Once it is finished I dumb out the liquid shred the meat/return the meat to the crock and put my favorite bbq sauce and let it warm back up and serve over a toasted hoggie roll. The ladies I work with will never eat anything I bring in for our lunch in's.... so I told them it was pulled pork and they were licking the spoons :thumbsup:
duckblind1982
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:58 am

That one sounds awesome duckblind. Thanx
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:37 am

The CORRECT way to cook a wild goose is to slice it thinly and then grill the meat quickly. If you want to marinade it...fine but it's not required at all. In fact no spices is fine as well.

1/4" thick...grill two minutes per side and IT WILL TASTE LIKE STEAK.

I tried many, many ways to cook goose meat. Smoking, baking, grilling, stuffed...you name it and I'm here to tell you all other ways suck compared to grilling thin-sliced goose. If you over-cook it, it will taste like liver.

Just forget all other ways to cook a goose.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Here's an easy goose stew recipe I've been using for over 25 years. I honestly believe you could make a cow patty taste great with this recipe!

Saskatchewan Goose

1 Goose (Canada or Snow)
Butter
Italian Bread Crumbs + any other spices you like
Salt , Pepper & Garlic Powder
3 eggs beaten
Flour
Onion, large ,sliced
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can milk or half & half

Filet the two sides of the goose from the breast and place in cold salt water overnite to remove blood. Change water often . Remove and pat dry. Cut breasts into 1/2 inch cubes. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder cubed breasts to taste. Coat cubes in flour and then dip in beaten egg. Roll egg-dipped cubes in Italian Bread Crumbs plus any other spices you prefer.
Brown cubes in butter in skillet over medium heat long enough to adhere crumbs to the meat.
Place the browned goose cubes into a roaster and add sliced onion. Pour heated mixture of Cream of Mushroom soup and milk over meat and add water until goose and mixture is covered. Place roaster, top on, into pre-heated oven at 350º for ½ hour. Turn oven down to 200º for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionly. Serve with mashed potatos or over rice. Makes a great gravy. Delightful.

“This recipe was served to me in 1985 by Mrs. Willie (Ivadelle) Kosior, Fillmore, Saskatchewan. It has been a favorite ever since” Tenfingergrip
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:53 pm

The only way I have ever had geese is the whole bird roasted breast down with salt, pepper,rosemary and onions.if we only have a few birds we make sure to keep one for chistmas dinner, screw the turkey.I just cant bring myself to cut them up and mask the flavour with any "fancy" recipes, but then again,I might be missing out.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking