Soaking your meat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Soaking your meat

Postby Snowbird » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I've never done much to my duck other than clean it and occasionally marinade it. lately my wife has been soaking it in milk and i have to admit it tastes pretty good. a few guys i've hunted with in the past will swear by soaking it in salt water and changing the water out a few times a day. I tried this for 2 or 3 days in the fridge and noticed my meat started to turn brown and get a different odor to it. to me it looked like it was going bad but maybe that's the point. i'm not sure if i'm soaking it too long or putting too much/too little salt in the water. can anyone tell me what the basics are of soaking your meat to pull out the extra blood and tenderize it?

thanks,

seth
Snowbird
hunter

Re: Soaking your meat

Postby Buckwheat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:00 pm

I soak my birds, deer, squirrels... whatever in saltwater for 24 hours. That should remove alot of the excess blood. The longer you soak them, and the more salt you put on them, the more they will turn brown. It's ok, that's just what it looks like without the blood all in it. Change the water and rinse the meat several times in the 24 hour period.

I do love soaking meat in buttermilk for a few hours if I'm gonna roll it in flour and fry it. I think it gives it a mild, less gamey flavor.
The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
-Walter Cronkite

To the deer hunter, there are only 3 that truely matter: The first one, the biggest one, and the next one.
-B
Buckwheat
hunter

Postby Snowbird » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:32 pm

so how much salt are you typically putting in with your duck. is it to the point where it will no longer dissolve or much less?
Snowbird
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm

Me too, about 24 hrs., about 10% brine. Also, if you're roasting something (duck, deer roast, etc.) a 1/2 cup of straight black coffee (already brewed) in with whatever liquid you put in works well, too. You can't taste it at all. Give it a whirl sometime.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Snowbird wrote:so how much salt are you typically putting in with your duck. is it to the point where it will no longer dissolve or much less?

Well I just eyeball it to be honest with ya.... I put enough to pretty much coat the meats surface, but not like cake it on there if you know what I mean. I have put too much salt on it before and left it too long, which made it really salty when cooked which sucks. Just keep in mind your trying to pull alot of the blood out, not cure the meat.... :beer:
The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
-Walter Cronkite

To the deer hunter, there are only 3 that truely matter: The first one, the biggest one, and the next one.
-B
Buckwheat
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking