Do certain kinds of ducks taste different?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Do certain kinds of ducks taste different?

Postby snapper » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:03 pm

I noticed that alot of people don't shoot "spoonies" or wood ducks, is that because they taste bad or what? I have shot alot of ducks in my life and I think that some ducks taste different than others, but maybe it's just me. I think the best tasting duck was a bufflehead and then teal and scaup was very good. If any of you have a choice lets hear it.

thanks
snapper
hunter

Re: Do certain kinds of ducks taste different?

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 am

As a general rule, Diver ducks taste gamier to me. Don't get my wrong, i've eaten my fair share of Ring Necks and Scaup, but they just have a gamier taste than puddle ducks.

Teal are almost as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned, but wood ducks and any other puddler taste fine.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:19 pm

my opinion... as a professional/certified chef i like the wood ducks better than mallards ext. they have a kind of smokey flavor. for divers. i never shot them intel recently. i toss them hole in the freezer and use them for training my dog in the off season. i like buff heads. soak them in oj for a day or two. the rest of the divers taste horrible
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:45 pm

daffy... wrote:my opinion... as a professional/certified chef i like the wood ducks better than mallards ext. they have a kind of smokey flavor. for divers. i never shot them intel recently. i toss them hole in the freezer and use them for training my dog in the off season. i like buff heads. soak them in oj for a day or two. the rest of the divers taste horrible

Honestly Red Heads and Canvas Backs are not bad for Diver ducks. Most of the time, I'll make gumbo out of my divers.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:56 pm

gw. we dont get those much around here, id prob mount a red head if i ever shot it up here
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Dustin07 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:27 pm

i would definitely mount a red or can if i got one.

on the buffs and OJ marinade, what else do you add afterwords for cooking? I had a orange-goose recipe once that i hated. i thought the orange overpowered the meat. but a little bit might work OK.
Dustin07
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:41 pm

it taste like liver marinade in oj, so i do what i do with liver. saute some onions, when the onions are done add blackberry jelly to the onions, cook the jelly til it starts to bubble and look like its going to burn. def make sure it doesnt orrrr add a expensive balsamic reduction. slicing duck thin helps the texture, itll melt in your mouth
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Stevenot » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm

You can fry anything in bacon grease and it will taste good. Pound em slice em bread em fry em. MMMMMM Duck fingers. or wrap it in bacon with a slice of pepper throw on the grill duck poppers. I have not noticed a strong difference in flavor between species. The one thing I have noticed is that spoonies and woodies have more tendons making them a little tougher if you don't tenderize them first. I roast my teal, mallards, sprig, and widgeon. All the rest I breast out and pound with a meat mallet and grill or fry.
Stevenot
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Honestly, I've had a Canvasback and a Mallard in the same baking dish and couldn't tell which was which. I dunno' if the Mallard juices seeped in to the Mallard or the Canvasback seeped into the Mallard,..it was good regardless :yes:

Diving ducks always taste different, but I've found smoking the ducks helps with that ,along with a good marinade beforehand.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 pm

More or less it has to do with what they eat not what species they are.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ajgall1055 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:47 pm

What i always do is set aside the ducks I like better (mallard, teal, etc) for roasting and the others I'll use in a gumbo and by others I mean divers, spoonies, even coot. Yes I'll admit it I eat coot :crying:
Ajgall1055
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36 am

All ducks taste the same to me. Mergansers, wood ducks, mallards, scoters, teal, not enough difference to worry about. Slice thin, marinade overnight and saute with onions, or wrap them in bacon, whatever. To be honest, they taste a lot like liver. Period. I fried some thinly sliced scoter breasts in lots of onions, added a little liquid to make some gravy, made a little rice, and invited my neighbor over for some "liver". He loved it. He said it was the best liver and onions he had ever had. I didn't tell him he was eating duck, especially scoters. So, if you don't like liver, you will spend the rest of your days trying to hide the taste with all kinds of crazy ingredients and cooking techniques. Get over it. Just sit down, shut up, and eat.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking