Goose Chilli?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Goose Chilli?

Postby RiverRat707 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:28 pm

hey fellas im new to this particular (recipe) forum, my names aaron. anyhow, i was curious if anyone has ever made a chilli with their canada goose breasts. ive got a ton and the wifes wanting me to clear out the freezer. just interested in doing something different with them. any ideas? thanks
John 15:13
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
RiverRat707
hunter

Re: Goose Chilli?

Postby bamanative85 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:39 pm

don't be afraid to try anything. It looks like beef and has the same texture at least to me anyways. So a chili is probably not a bad idea.
"They call it huntin not killin"

09-10
blacktail deer 1
geese-2
ducks-0
grouse-1
pheasant-1
bamanative85
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 pm

RiverRat707 wrote:hey fellas im new to this particular (recipe) forum, my names aaron. anyhow, i was curious if anyone has ever made a chilli with their canada goose breasts. ive got a ton and the wifes wanting me to clear out the freezer. just interested in doing something different with them. any ideas? thanks

Delta waterfowl's site has some great goose recipes...One of their guys has a great goose chili recipe too.. :thumbsup: just go to their web site and look for the recipe section...but really you can not go wrong with goose kabobs!!! best way to eat them IMHO..
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby old1neck » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:31 pm

I run the goose breast through a grinder and make gumbo with it, it would be good in chili too. I just use the Zatarans Gumbo mix, add 4 ground goose breast, a bag of frozen gumbo mixed vegetables, a little extra water and serve over rice. Quick and easy and very good. I brown the meat in the skillet with some crushed garlic before adding it to the gumbo. FYI the Zatarans says to add i lb of meat and 4 goose breast is usually just over 2 lbs which is why add the extra water and vegetables.
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby ronvt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:04 am

I cook tons of goose chili. I brine the cubed chili first and pan sear all sides before putting it in the crockpot. Then add whatever it is you normally put in. I put kidney, black, pinto beans, onions, chilli peppers, cayenne and habanero. Tomato sauce and paste, allspice, nutmeg, salt and pepper. My kids love it as long as its not too spicy hot. Its easy and tastes great.
ronvt
hunter

Postby RiverRat707 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm a big chilli guy but this'll be new for me. Gonna try it on the guys at work
John 15:13
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
RiverRat707
hunter

Postby westpac690 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:51 pm

Actually a buddy of mine shot some Canadians and had smoked sausage made out of it. Good stuff.
westpac690
hunter

Postby Brydog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 am

westpac690 wrote:Actually a buddy of mine shot some Canadians and had smoked sausage made out of it. Good stuff.

FYI,
Canadians are people.
Canada's are Geese....
I made up a batch of Goose chili and it was so good that I canned the remaining 7 pints and am still enjoying it 5 months later.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby daffy... » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:20 pm

pulled goose sandwiches? that would be gooood
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 pm

daffy... wrote:pulled goose sandwiches? that would be gooood

It is good, there is a recipe somewhere in here for it.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby 1187 DROPS EM » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 am

yes it is quite good, but I used to enter chili contests years ago, and the best way is by cutting meat up into cubes-it holds the flavor better, once meat is cubed rinse it well to remove any "extra blood", drain to dry and start from there-te texture is similar to beef and does well in chili, bon apetite
1187 DROPS EM
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 am

...pat them dry and sear them in a hot pan before you start. mayb dust them in a little flour first too. makes the meet less chewy

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking