breasting a duck?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

breasting a duck?

Postby roscoesbuddy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:27 am

i know there is a similar post on here but one of the posts caught my eye. people were talking about plucking a duck and one person said to step on their wings and pull there feet up to strip the feathers. this is the way i clean pheasants/grouse and am curious if you can use this method on ducks it's very quick and not near a messy.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby lars » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:54 pm

i do it with grouse, and no.
it dosent work with ducks- at least well.
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

this

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:20 pm

How do you do that, do you cut them somewhere and then step on the wings and pull the feet or what. I have never heard of it.
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby lars » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:07 pm

easiest is find a buddy that knows how, and have him show you-? :thumbsup:
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Re: this

Postby Canadian Quacker » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:49 pm

sc_countryboy26 wrote:How do you do that, do you cut them somewhere and then step on the wings and pull the feet or what. I have never heard of it.

Yeah I do this for grouse. No you dont need to cut them anywhere. Just simply step and pull.

CQ
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Re: breasting a duck?

Postby mungojeerie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:32 am

The only way to breast a grouse is by stepping on its wings close to the body and pulling on the legs imo. I figured it works so well for grouse, why not a duck. The first duck I tried it on it worked pretty good, not quite as clean as a grouse but basically the same... the next two I tried it on all I got was a leg in each hand lol. I now stick to cleaning a duck whole or just carving out the breast meat with a fillet knife.
mungojeerie
hunter

Postby MurphyMID » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:08 pm

I peel the skin back with my hands, and step on the neck and tail and pull the breast out... Lately I have been saving the thighs and drumsticks as well on the big ducks. We had a couple dozen fried duck legs for dinner tonight...
2012:
Birds 76
MurphyMID
hunter

Postby kba5191 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:56 pm

I do it all the time, works great. Make a little hole for your finger above and below the breast, have a buddy step on the neck and butt just above and below the breast respectively and pull as hard as you can. just chop the wings off afterwards. its quick and easy.
kba5191
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am

You guys obviously never bake a duck that's stuffed with rice. You have to have the whole duck to do this.

The easy way is to pull the skin, feathers and all off the breast and then use a knife to cut out the breasts and then poppem in a baggie.
My wife won't even cook them if I breast them. I cook those on the grill . :yes:
If they aren't too shot up I'll pluck them, wax them and get them looking like they came from a store. That way she's happy. I'm happy.
She insists that the skin adds flavor when she makes gumbo. Again to bake a duck you pretty well have to have them plucked.

We've tried most all ways to cook geese and really, the best way is the simplest. Breast them like described above and then slice the meat thin (.25 inch) and then grill on high heat 2 min. per side and it tastes like steak. You can soak them in teriaki sauce and that's pretty good too.
Baked wild goose is horribly greasy. Smoked goose is OK but you have to eat it cold or it has a strange texture and flavor. After it's cooled I like slicing and using it to make sandwiches. Tastes a lot like roast beef that way. Fried goose? never done that. Goose Gumbo? Hey, maybe that's a good idea.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:07 am

duck legs a DEFINITE save small but tender,get a set of shears like for cutting up a chicken ,,start at the abdomen and cut though the ribs towards wing butts connect cuts at neck ,guts wings backbone all in one piece ,but SAVE THE LEGS MMMMMMMM!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby mungojeerie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:33 am

Okay since my last post there have been a few posts describing this technique... thought you might be interested in watching a vid I found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciAhiG4OqUw
mungojeerie
hunter

Postby william costa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 pm

baking duck or goose is in my opinion the worst thing u can do to them!grill,bread and fry or for the best duck or goose u have ever ate pluck em and put them on a rottesiery season with spices(inside and out) of your choice,absolutly awsome!!I use a table top electric version. :beer:
william costa
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking