duck jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

duck jerky

Postby pizzaman_288 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I'd like to make some duck jerky would like to know the best way to do it I don't have a dehydratot so ill be using the oven so any help would be great so let me know how you guys make your jerky thanks
pizzaman_288
hunter

Re: duck jerky

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:25 pm

pizzaman_288 wrote:I'd like to make some duck jerky would like to know the best way to do it I don't have a dehydratot so ill be using the oven so any help would be great so let me know how you guys make your jerky thanks

best way IMHO is to use a regular square 2' x 2' house fan and some A/C filters....the ambient dry air is better for long term storage than heat...stack the 4 or 5 filters with the jerky between them and blow air through them, hold in place with 2 bungee cords. I got this tip from a cooking show -the guy with glasses that M.C.'s iron chef... I tried it and it works great... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby peterb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:02 pm

How long do you blow the air through the filters? Sounds like a great easy way.
peterb
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
pizzaman_288 wrote:I'd like to make some duck jerky would like to know the best way to do it I don't have a dehydratot so ill be using the oven so any help would be great so let me know how you guys make your jerky thanks

best way IMHO is to use a regular square 2' x 2' house fan and some A/C filters....the ambient dry air is better for long term storage than heat...stack the 4 or 5 filters with the jerky between them and blow air through them, hold in place with 2 bungee cords. I got this tip from a cooking show -the guy with glasses that M.C.'s iron chef... I tried it and it works great... :thumbsup:

That would be Alton Brown, and the show is probly Good Eats. The guy is like McGayver. One show teaches how to make a smoker out of flower pots and a hot plate. Some shows use a few too many props and gimmicks, but if you can get past that the info is good.

My wife and I have tried several of AB's recipes, and I have to say they have all turned out pretty good. I'll have to try out the A/C filters, the episode can be found here.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:04 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

That would be Alton Brown, and the show is probly Good Eats. The guy is like McGayver. One show teaches how to make a smoker out of flower pots and a hot plate. Some shows use a few too many props and gimmicks, but if you can get past that the info is good.

My wife and I have tried several of AB's recipes, and I have to say they have all turned out pretty good. I'll have to try out the A/C filters, the episode can be found here.

That's the guy...it really does work well... :thumbsup: his jerky recipe is decent also.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Do you re-use your A/C filters or toss them out?
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:Do you re-use your A/C filters or toss them out?

toss them out.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:27 pm

peterb wrote:How long do you blow the air through the filters? Sounds like a great easy way.

at least 12 hours or more depending on the relative humidity in the air...until the meat is no longer moist

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

i do 10 hours, and let it sit in the dehydrater for two hours... it finishes just perfect that way, never to chewy
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Inda, are you talking about the paper & fiberglass AC/ furnace filters? like to try it, since I don't have my dehydrator out here with me, and with the 15% humidity in AZ it probably wouldn't take long, but i want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. thanks!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking