Are coots good to eat?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Are coots good to eat?

Postby ColoGunner » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:33 pm

Are coots any good to eat? Any recipies? :spam:
I've spent most days of my life hunting. The rest have been wasted.
ColoGunner
Newb

Postby QUACKADDICT » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:56 pm

have you ever eaten a leather boot?? :yes: :yes:
QUACK..QUACK...BOOOOOM
QUACKADDICT
hunter

Coots are

Postby decoydog » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:13 am

Look, Coots are some of the best meat. There is however a trick to whole process. First, bring a one gallon freezer bag, because you need to breast them out as soon as you shoot them(coots bloat with toxins that make the meat rancid so breast them out right away)....that is the biggest mistake people make. They drag them home after a hunt and wait to breast them out,(wrong thing to do). So when you ask people that question, your going to get kneejerk reactions such as the one you got from this misinformed fellow. Don't believe me? At waterfowler .com they polled the writers and editors (all of whom are birdhunters just like us) and almost all ranked the coot at the top of thier favorite species of duck to eat. So buck up to the table and eat it up. I just love the fact that the limit of coot is 25 up here in Washington state.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:47 am

i dont really want to eat one.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Oregon Honker » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:54 pm

make peperoni sticks mix it with other duck meat and pork you'll never notice it at all :thumbsup:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:59 pm

We had a guy at the duck club, that would hold the legs,step on the wings & pull......breast it out right now. He used the meat for pasta sauce.....
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:49 pm

Decoydog is right, although you can wait an hour or two before breasting them. (legs are also fine, although lotsa connective tissue like a turkey)

Two other critical things: Get ALL the fat off them (it tastes a bit fishy) and skin them. Skin tastes fishy, too.

After that, yer good to go. Marinate them, grill em and they taste (disturbingly) like venison... :salude:
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:55 am

In all honesty, I knew a cajun man once who offered to cook some of the coots I shot when I was younger. I am not sure how he did the preperation but I gotta tell you he deep fat fried the wings, legs and breasts....it was some of the finest eating I have had.....somewhere down in Louisianna there is someone that knows this recipie. If I knew the secret I would be shooting coots! :thumbsup:
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby duckjumper » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:47 pm

Citori12,

Try this: After skinning/de-fatting the meat, soak it in a solution of 50-50 water/vinegar (decent vinegar, not great) with a tablespoon or two of salt overnight. Drain and proceed as normal. That should work for ya. :thumbsup:
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:14 pm

:withstupid: After that take meat out of water,salt mix. dry and dip in egg and milk mixture dunk in flour mix and fry it up. Good stuff.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:37 am

That has got to be the recipie...I did not shoot any coots this year and we really do not see alot of them here in colorado. But next time my young hunter would like to shoot a bird or two and there are some coots flying around I will definetly try it. Thanks! By the way when I lived in Lousianna for a short while there was some fine duck hunting, and fine cajun food. My two favorite subjects. I got a chance to go down on business before the storm and got to stop at Vera's off lake ponchatrain and yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking