Duck fat

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck fat

Postby agengo02 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:08 am

Hey guys I always breast out and pull the legs off my ducks to cook. I keep reading about how duck fat is the best tasting fat to use for cooking. Sometimes I will leave the skin on the meat and cook em and they come out great. I am wondering how I can render some fat off a duck to store for cooking later on. Do I have to start plucking them? Do any of yall keep some duck fat handy for cooking? My end goal is to use duck fat for a roux for a big duck gumbo at the end of the year, but I would also like a way to use as much out of the duck as possible including the fat! Thanks for any help. Also if yall have a way please explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old. My brain seems to be off this morning :hammer:
agengo02
hunter

Re: Duck fat

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Most of the duck fat I have rendered is from Domestic ducks. I have a recipe that involves, quartering, brining, and then steaming the duck. I can boil down the water that I steamed the ducks in to render the fat. I think domestic ducks is what most refer to when they refer to using duck fat in cooking, and yes it is delicious. I keep a jar in my pantry next to my jar of bacon grease.

I have never tried to render fat from wild ducks, but I would imagine that its difficult since most wild ducks don't have that much fat. I'm also not sure it would taste the same due to differences in diets and the amount of exercise they get.

Here is a blog on rendering duck fat, however again, they got their duck fat from a farmers market. This doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there that does this, but I haven't come across it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:45 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:Most of the duck fat I have rendered is from Domestic ducks. I have a recipe that involves, quartering, brining, and then steaming the duck. I can boil down the water that I steamed the ducks in to render the fat. I think domestic ducks is what most refer to when they refer to using duck fat in cooking, and yes it is delicious. I keep a jar in my pantry next to my jar of bacon grease.

I have never tried to render fat from wild ducks, but I would imagine that its difficult since most wild ducks don't have that much fat. I'm also not sure it would taste the same due to differences in diets and the amount of exercise they get.

Here is a blog on rendering duck fat, however again, they got their duck fat from a farmers market. This doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there that does this, but I haven't come across it.

I save the fat from the peanut fattened canada geese we shoot in Lubbock, Tx. when we go...taste damn good!! :yes: I use it in some of my recipes...it's really good for sausage; mix it with some pork fat and damn!!! Wild duck fat in Louisiana ain't that tasty...cause of what they are eating....atleast that has been my experience.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

agengo02 wrote:Hey guys I always breast out and pull the legs off my ducks to cook. I keep reading about how duck fat is the best tasting fat to use for cooking. Sometimes I will leave the skin on the meat and cook em and they come out great. I am wondering how I can render some fat off a duck to store for cooking later on. Do I have to start plucking them? Do any of yall keep some duck fat handy for cooking? My end goal is to use duck fat for a roux for a big duck gumbo at the end of the year, but I would also like a way to use as much out of the duck as possible including the fat! Thanks for any help. Also if yall have a way please explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old. My brain seems to be off this morning :hammer:

when I am making a big canada goose gumbo, what I do is fry the sausage and aundouillie first, then I fry the goose legs and thighs-no skin but keep all the fat...then I put them in a soup pot and boil till the fall apart...skim the oil that comes off the top and use that for your roux.... :thumbsup: make it and then add to the gumbo... :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:12 pm

low and slow. theres only two foods you cook in a cold pan, grill, whatever: and thats domestic duck and liver. cus of the force fed high levels of fat produce by ducks to keep them warm on the water. you gotta render it cus there so much fat in domestic.

to render a ducks fat take the hole bird. pluck. and roast at 350 till internal temp of 130. rest to 145. its useful to put a cookie cooling rack between the duck and the pan. so then you fat will drip down..

theres a resturant in my city called duck fat, they fry there food in duck fat. my favorite is baked potatoes rubbed in duck fat. use it like shortning. prob work great in pies and stuff

-certified chef
Last edited by daffy... on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 am

Ok so peanuts makes for tasty fat, but what about rice? Most of our big ducks hit our marsh from straight off the rice fields so that's the main diet of our gadwalls, wigeon, pintails, etc. so would they still taste good? I am guessing I will just have to try it out and see. So pluck and roast the bird and collect the dripping fat. Then should I strain it through a cheesecloth or something and after that it is ready to refrigerate? None of yall happen to have instructions with pictures by chance would you?
agengo02
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:33 am

some of the fat may burn. itll make the fat a golden color. no worries though. it will stay on bottom. id take the dripping pan and put it somewhere cool to set. itll turn thick and white. scrap up the good fat and leave behind the brown burn stuff on bottom. seal it and throw it in the fridge.... domestic birds would be best for this but youll still get a great produce form wild

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking