Daffy...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Daffy...

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks for the reply... BTW, the venison demi-glace turned out phenomenal!!! :thumbsup: All 3 gallons of it!! got the makings for some awesome sauces!!
What is your opinion on aging wild game? thoughts...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Daffy...

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:01 pm

stock or demi glace!? not be-littling you but demi glace is when you reduce the stock to a "small glaze" (demi glace) sounds like you have a great stock if youve got 3 gallons. ive made 15 gallons of stock before and gotten 2-3 gallons of demi. correct me if im wrong.

did you try brushing the bones with tomatoe paste and roasting them first?

research espanol sauce. thats one of my favorite derivitives of venison stock: dont forget to sprinkle ginger snaps in at the end!

the only aging ive ever done is with white-tail. no culinary background involved. from ten years old ive hunted whitetail. our season is in nov. so temps are around 40 during the day low 30s at night.my old man taught me to age my deer for 7 days leaving the open cavity down. if it going to be below 32deg that night i cut it early. if its going to be above 45 deg during the day i cut it

as for duck and other game ive never tried it. im experienced in peking duck (the asians delious aging of duck to get a delicous fatty SKIN, (much like a pork rine) youve probably scene this method hanging in front windows of chinese resturants in china town

being a commerical chef i deal manly with dry aged beef and produces alike. i could tell you my dislikes and likes of both
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:23 pm

daffy... wrote:stock or demi glace!? not be-littling you but demi glace is when you reduce the stock to a "small glaze" (demi glace) sounds like you have a great stock if youve got 3 gallons. ive made 15 gallons of stock before and gotten 2-3 gallons of demi. correct me if im wrong.

no typo...I used the bones from two whole whitetail deer to make the stock...ended up with around 40 gallons of broth, concentrated down to 20 gallons of stock...Reduced most of it down to demi-glace for ease of freezing...

did you try brushing the bones with tomatoe paste and roasting them first?

No, already had it going....but that is a good twist on it...I did roast them though with a splash of wine...

research espanol sauce. thats one of my favorite derivitives of venison stock: dont forget to sprinkle ginger snaps in at the end!

I have some rather complex sauces that I like to use, one is a derivative of the espanol sauce...I don't do many beef stocks simply because I get venison bones free...much more complex flavor IMHO...most of my stocks, (except for chicken) are either game or seafood...I'm not a certified chef, but I love complex dishes and gourmet food. I love to cook!

the only aging ive ever done is with white-tail. no culinary background involved. from ten years old ive hunted whitetail. our season is in nov. so temps are around 40 during the day low 30s at night.my old man taught me to age my deer for 7 days leaving the open cavity down. if it going to be below 32deg that night i cut it early. if its going to be above 45 deg during the day i cut it

as for duck and other game ive never tried it. im experienced in peking duck (the asians delious aging of duck to get a delicous fatty SKIN, (much like a pork rine) youve probably scene this method hanging in front windows of chinese resturants in china town

being a commerical chef i deal manly with dry aged beef and produces alike. i could tell you my dislikes and likes of both

There have been some discussions on aging ducks on this forum, unfortunately, I live in south louisiana and the temps do not allow for aging outside of a walking cooler....just interested in experimenting with it...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 pm

beef stock and venison stock are very simular. def use the venison stock in beef stock application.

as for seafood newengland is very known for is seafood and LOBSTERRRR. i have much experience with fish stocks and better yet lobster stocks

feel free to ask me any questions with gourmet food. its my passion and career. ever feel like taking on a dish your uncomfortable with let me know. i can help tweak it to fit your applications/kitchen and ext.

ive noticed the aging duck forum and arguments: to each his own. personaly i dont bother cus there soooo good to begin with. venison i think differently. much like chickens and other land animals the age, and activity levels of the animals differ the quailty of the meat. thats why i like to age all of my deer. especial the old mules
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

daffy... wrote:beef stock and venison stock are very simular. def use the venison stock in beef stock application.

as for seafood newengland is very known for is seafood and LOBSTERRRR. i have much experience with fish stocks and better yet lobster stocks

feel free to ask me any questions with gourmet food. its my passion and career. ever feel like taking on a dish your uncomfortable with let me know. i can help tweak it to fit your applications/kitchen and ext.

ive noticed the aging duck forum and arguments: to each his own. personaly i dont bother cus there soooo good to begin with. venison i think differently. much like chickens and other land animals the age, and activity levels of the animals differ the quailty of the meat. thats why i like to age all of my deer. especial the old mules

I use venson stock to make Speckled Trout Meinuer(sp.?)..very good indeed!! I haven't fooled with too many lobsters....lots of shrimp, blue crabs, and fish...I have an awesome gourmet smoked redfish dip!!!

ever do anything with crawfish??

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:06 pm

hahaah crawfish? you live in lousiana, i should be asking you. havent done much. cut the top off beer cans and cook them over a fire once or twice...

only used them in catering for southern/western theme events. used it in a crabcake kind of application and gumbos. i suppose if the clientil around here wanted it i would use old recipe i know and subsitute it for maine shrimp or just think small lobster applications

sole bar harbor: i use maine shrimp, shucked oysters, capers, lemon juice as a sauce/topping (id cut the crawfish tails in half and use them like maine shrimp)

how about new england style fish and clam chowdar. mmm thatd be good with crawfish
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:24 pm

daffy... wrote:hahaah crawfish? you live in lousiana, i should be asking you. havent done much. cut the top off beer cans and cook them over a fire once or twice...

only used them in catering for southern/western theme events. used it in a crabcake kind of application and gumbos. i suppose if the clientil around here wanted it i would use old recipe i know and subsitute it for maine shrimp or just think small lobster applications

sole bar harbor: i use maine shrimp, shucked oysters, capers, lemon juice as a sauce/topping (id cut the crawfish tails in half and use them like maine shrimp)

how about new england style fish and clam chowdar. mmm thatd be good with crawfish

I'll send you some crawfish dishes...got a crawfish and asparagas soup that is wnderful...give me a few days to locate it... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:25 pm

BTW, good to have you on the forum..shared passions ya know... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:38 pm

haha def good to find someone who shares the same passion, even more greatful for a sportsman from the south, honestly i have to give a lot of my culinary back ground to hunting and fishing... learning how to butcher whitetail. fileting fish, preparing rabbit and duck. all of that really gave me a step up from my peers in culinary school

Glad to have finally found my rightful place here on the vast DHC
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm

daffy... wrote:haha def good to find someone who shares the same passion, even more greatful for a sportsman from the south, honestly i have to give a lot of my culinary back ground to hunting and fishing... learning how to butcher whitetail. fileting fish, preparing rabbit and duck. all of that really gave me a step up from my peers in culinary school

Glad to have finally found my rightful place here on the vast DHC

you need any suggestions on true louisiana cuisine, just ask!
Everyone says that I shoulda went to culinary school....I'm like you in that I'd have had a leg up with my hunting and fishing background...I can fillet a snapper and make it look professionally done... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:35 pm

daffy... wrote:hahaah crawfish? you live in lousiana, i should be asking you. havent done much. cut the top off beer cans and cook them over a fire once or twice...

Crawfish are too good boiled to do anything else with. Man i love some whole crawfish.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby daffy... » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:47 am

hey indaswamp! chris made me mod of this forum, ill be here 365 days a year to help you guys with your cooking questions :thumbsup:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:12 am

daffy... wrote:hey indaswamp! chris made me mod of this forum, ill be here 365 days a year to help you guys with your cook questions :thumbsup:

Good deal!!! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Either one of you willing to share a good crawfish boil recipe? Cook them multiple times of the year but always looking for new tips and recipes to try in different batches. We're doing a 700lbs+ boil in March. Not the best time to get them but that's when they decided to have it.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Either one of you willing to share a good crawfish boil recipe? Cook them multiple times of the year but always looking for new tips and recipes to try in different batches. We're doing a 700lbs+ boil in March. Not the best time to get them but that's when they decided to have it.

Crawfish is something I know a thing or two about...
This is the way they do it "Down da bayou" in Pierre Part Louisiana...
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/seafood/crawfish01.htm

This recipe is extremely close to my great uncle's whom lived in the Atchafalaya Swamps...If I can find his recipe I'll post it up.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Appreciate it, I've always been successful in the past but it's always nice to try new things. Plus the girlfriend is a coona$$ and her family is from over by Opelousas so she's quick to let me know what's right or not. Did try your gumbo recipe with my own twist and it did get her seal of approval.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 am

Daffy and Inda I got a feeling that I will be pm'ing yall about recipes. I love cooking game (but not much of anything else according to the old lady!)

I do several boils a year and I feel I have perfected my technique. Yours looks good, but I will add to throw in some ice after your 7 minute boil on the little bugs, then let it soak in the liquid for about 15 minutes. Don't know why, but the juiciest crawfish you will ever eat. Also it is supposed to make them spicier, but I think that is just an old wives tale. I wish all this damn cold weather would roll outta here so we can start up the boiling season already!

Oh and 1 request for the cooking pro's; any way yall can start posting up pics of these dishes yall create??? At least a pic of the finished product! Yall make them sound so good!
agengo02
hunter

Postby daffy... » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 am

agengo02 wrote:Daffy and Inda I got a feeling that I will be pm'ing yall about recipes. I love cooking game (but not much of anything else according to the old lady!)

I do several boils a year and I feel I have perfected my technique. Yours looks good, but I will add to throw in some ice after your 7 minute boil on the little bugs, then let it soak in the liquid for about 15 minutes. Don't know why, but the juiciest crawfish you will ever eat. Also it is supposed to make them spicier, but I think that is just an old wives tale. I wish all this damn cold weather would roll outta here so we can start up the boiling season already!

Oh and 1 request for the cooking pro's; any way yall can start posting up pics of these dishes yall create??? At least a pic of the finished product! Yall make them sound so good!

hahaha post pics. i suppose i could when im at home... i work in a commercial kitchen, i do hundreds of these kinds of recipes. me and a few portland chefs have a cookbook coming out. we did a section on oysters and our resturants specilty recipes

but feel free to drop a pm anytime. i usually check up on this place atleast twice a day
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:13 pm

agengo02 wrote:Oh and 1 request for the cooking pro's; any way yall can start posting up pics of these dishes yall create??? At least a pic of the finished product! Yall make them sound so good!

Well since you asked for pictures and we're talking about crawfish I'll just make it more miserable for both of us since it's to cold right now. This a boil I did last year and makes me wish for warmer weather, cold beer, and spicy crawfish just looking at it.

Agengo02, how's the hunting over in Port Neches? My girlfriend grew up and graduated from Groves and tried to get me set up with a hunt this past season around there but it kept falling through. Hoping for better luck next year. Anyways enjoy.
Attachments
crawfish2.jpg
crawfish2.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
crawfish.jpg
crawfish.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 pm

agengo02 wrote:Daffy and Inda I got a feeling that I will be pm'ing yall about recipes. I love cooking game (but not much of anything else according to the old lady!)

the ice is fine if you are doing 1 or 2 sacks...but he the guy requesting assistance is boiling 700 lbs... unless you have a specialty built crawfish boiling rig where you can boil all 700 lbs. at once, ice is just too much of a pain...but I agree it does help!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:17 pm

This cold *** weather has pushed the season back..when they come out of the ground, they will be plentiful though...as long as the water starts falling...right now they are $5.00 a pound live...$6.75 boiled..when they get down below $2.00 a pound live is when we boil...and I have a hook up for select-super large crawfish from a family friend...they look like little lobsters!! :thumbsup:

and :thumbsup: on the pictures! I do my best, but sometimes I'm at friends cooking and I don't always have a camera with me...
everyonw on here needs to try my duck or goose tenderloin marsala!! :drool: It'll smack you in the mouth it's so good!!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:18 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Oh and 1 request for the cooking pro's; any way yall can start posting up pics of these dishes yall create??? At least a pic of the finished product! Yall make them sound so good!

Well since you asked for pictures and we're talking about crawfish I'll just make it more miserable for both of us since it's to cold right now. This a boil I did last year and makes me wish for warmer weather, cold beer, and spicy crawfish just looking at it.

Agengo02, how's the hunting over in Port Neches? My girlfriend grew up and graduated from Groves and tried to get me set up with a hunt this past season around there but it kept falling through. Hoping for better luck next year. Anyways enjoy.

i love a lot of foods, but some spicy crawfish and cold beer is definately a good combo.

I need to go to looserana for a duck hunt and a boil. I just dont want my dog eaten by a gator.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby agengo02 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:39 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
agengo02 wrote:Agengo02, how's the hunting over in Port Neches? My girlfriend grew up and graduated from Groves and tried to get me set up with a hunt this past season around there but it kept falling through. Hoping for better luck next year. Anyways enjoy.

I live in Nederland now but hunting this year was better than average for me. The teal were plentiful which makes for some fun, fast shoots. I was only skunked once out of about 15 hunts and averaged a little over 3 birds per hunt. When it gets closer to hunting season shoot me a pm and we will get you down for a hunt. I've got a few spots that are off the beaten path and I will hopefully have my pup ready.

Indaswamp wrote:the ice is fine if you are doing 1 or 2 sacks...but he the guy requesting assistance is boiling 700 lbs... unless you have a specialty built crawfish boiling rig where you can boil all 700 lbs. at once, ice is just too much of a pain...but I agree it does help!!

Yeah that is a good point. The most I have done so far is 100 lbs. and I worked my ass off on that one! I can imagine how 700 lbs. would be like and having to keep the all that ice frozen to the end!

I hear you on the crawfish hookup Inda. Got a good buddy that bought a crawfish business and the three of them run it. I have been garunteed by all 3 to get as many jumbo bags as I need every weekend for $20 a bag.

My stomach is growling thinking about all this crawfish boil stuff!
agengo02
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 pm

I've never done 700 lbs personally but those pictures were for a crawfish boil I did with 500lbs. It was an all day event that wore us all out, but we're looking to do 700+ this April so that should be interesting.

I'll make sure to send you a PM closer to season and take you up on that offer. Her uncle has land in that area to but it's mainly accessible by boat so I never even have a chance to hunt it.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:59 pm

You guys are making me hungry! So that's what a crawfish boil is! Looks a lot like steamed crabs and beer at home- newspapers on a picnic table, bushel of steamed blue crabs with Old Bay and cold beer. More about the socializing than the eating, but good times!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Next

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking