plucked duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

plucked duck

Postby keepcallin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm

i need a recipe for a whole duck
Last edited by keepcallin on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keepcallin
hunter

Re: piuck duck

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:48 pm

what's a puick duck? :huh: :huh:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: plucked duck

Postby ntx_duckster » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 am

Well, no one else is answerin' so here goes. You can make 1 to 4 ducks at a time with this.

You need a roasting pan. The ugly dark grey one with the white spots on it. Don't use the cover. Season the duck, usually salt and pepper mix rubbed on the outside and spinkle some salt and pepper in the bird. Put the bird in the roasting pan. Then add liquid, it can be beer, water, chicken broth, beef broth, whatever you prefer. Add enough so the level of the liquid is about 1/2 inch. Get some heavy duty foil and cover the roasting pan making sure you seal the foil tightly around the edges of the pan. Use enough tinfoil so there is a little bit of room above the birds. Once you've done that, put the pan into a preheated 250 degree farenheit oven for 3 to 4 hours. After cooking you can make a gravy from the drippings. I usually boil or bake some potatoes and have a vegatable as well. The duck meat shreds apart very easily with this recipe. It's pretty basic, but fool proof. Enjoy.
ntx_duckster
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 pm

the last post can be consider a braising method. will work great but can cause uneven cooking and akward dry, over cooked parts of the bird. braising is better for quartering the bird first. for hole birds i like to roast: take a roasting pan and have some type of rack to rise the bird away from the pan... a cookie cooling rack works great. you do this because the pan will sear, instead of roast.

take olive oil and rub over entire bird. salt and pepper. season with your desire herbs. i like marjorim, and tyhme for duck... you could also go the dry rub route and rubs some cajun and cumin on the bird. i also like to put fruit in the cavaity like apples and oranges (sliced) to keep the humidity up in the oven/bird.

preheat oven to 350. once heated put bird in and roast for about 3 hours. i like a enternal temp of 130 -140F

also cool things to do while roasting is make syrup-y sauces and baist while cooking. for hams i do a gingerale reduction and baist over the ham ever 20 minutes... it makes a layer of a sweet crust, also locking in the juices and flavors

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:53 pm

Got this in the oven right now. I am checking it in 2 and a half hours. Ill let yall know how it turns out.
:thumbsup:
agengo02
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 am

Skin didn't crisp up like I was hoping. The house smelled amazing though and great flavor! Meat was overcooked and borderline dry, but again the flavor was so good it didn't matter. I checked them at 2.5 hours and put it in for 45 more minutes after that. In retrospect (and after some knowledge from the grilfriend) I should have cranked the heat up to 400 after the 2.5 hour mark and cooked it for like 20 minutes.
agengo02
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm

your girlfriend is right. if your using a home oven. you wont get the same results as a commercial convection oven. amping up the heat at the end will give you a more likly crispy skin...

as for dry, using a thermometer and check the internal temp will aviod over cooking. leading to dryness

PLUS! theres a thing called carry over cooking. if you check your duck and its 125 def F. if you take it out and let it sit at room temp itll cook the rest of the way to 135 deg. its called resting, not only does it complete the cooking process it locks in the juices that escape if you pull it out and cut it right away. try this with a steak next time you cook. let it sit for 3-5 minutes before you cut into it.

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:45 pm

HOPE YOU SAVED THAT FAT IN THE BOTTOM OF THE PAN!
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for the tips! Sadly that was my last whole duck :(.

Equally sad is the fact that in the bottom is the fat...mixed with the beer that I poured in at the beginning...Sometimes I don't think things through all the way! :help:
agengo02
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:45 pm

daffy... wrote:your girlfriend is right. if your using a home oven. you wont get the same results as a commercial convection oven. amping up the heat at the end will give you a more likly crispy skin...

another trick to crispy skin is to let the bird sit hanging in the fridge uncovered the night and day before you cook it, it will look kinda pink, dry and funky but will get lot better crunch going when you cook it.

Good tip on quartering the bird when braising daffy, we usually braise the leg/thigh portions and sear the breast sections when the thigh and legs are almost done, i then pull the thighs, put the breasts in the oven to finish and reduce the drippings from the braised thighs to make a sauce for both.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby daffy... » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 pm

^ simplest form of dry aging
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Another tip for moist breast meat and crispy skin is to loosen the connective tissue between the fat and the breast meat by inserting a knife next to the cavity hole and filleting the skin off the breast (without poking or cutting through the skin, just loosen it...). This will allow the fat to baste the breast meat and drain from the skin producing a crisp hard shell that will seal in moisture... :thumbsup: try it, you will be surprised at how well this works!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Dustin07 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:55 pm

check this place out. last night he dipped an entire pintail into the frier like you would a thanksgiving turkey.

http://huntfishcook.com/

after it was done, he poked a couple holes in it with a fork, then stuck it in a container HOT with the marinade. He only added the marinade AFTER cooking/frying the duck and then let it sit in the container hot to absorb the marinade. you might find the details on the other site.
Dustin07
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking