fried duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

fried duck

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 pm

did some experimenting today. had some duck breasts(mallard and ringnecks)

i had some fish batter.(or w.e you batter your fish with should work)
wash the breast and batter the breast. drop in the deep fryer and let them cook.

it takes a little while for em to cook all the way through. it sounds odd but it tastes pretty good i think. if you are worried about how this tastes, just try one piece or so. and actually i couldnt tell a taste difference in the ring necks and the mallards. except the ringers was darker meat.

good luck.

p.s, yes iknow it sounds wierd but they taste pretty good i think
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: fried duck

Postby daffy... » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:12 am

not weird at all... im surprized paula dean hasnt taken this into her own hands. (God does that lady disgust me)

personaly i take all the tenderlions from breasting the duck. you know those little strips closest to the bone that kind of hangs off the large breast piece, typically fall off during prep. i gather those up and make a simple crumb batter. starting with flour, dip in butter milk then back into a seasoned flour mix. clam fry has the best flavor but if you dont have anyway of getting this take reg. flour and season it with cajun seasoning, also know as blackening or red fish mix. mix that in til you get a light red color. salt, maybe marjorium or other tast-y duck seasonings (tyhme) and fry those up

dip in your favorite sauce (sweet chili sauce!)

i use those litle tenderlions cus ther larger piece take to long to cook and unevenly, if you wanted you could cut the breast into little slivers and get the same effect. good stuff!

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby scheister » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:41 pm

i like to make fried duck nuggets. slice breasts into strips, cover with seasoned flour, then deep fry.

serve with creole mustard, etc.

makes a great appetizer.
scheister
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 pm

scheister wrote:i like to make fried duck nuggets. slice breasts into strips, cover with seasoned flour, then deep fry.

serve with creole mustard, etc.

makes a great appetizer.

sounds good.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 am

We use Andys red, that stuff is great, cut them into little strips, I like mine kind of thin, try not cooking them as long duck tastes best about medium rare to medium.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:56 am

SPatrick wrote:We use Andys red, that stuff is great, cut them into little strips, I like mine kind of thin, try not cooking them as long duck tastes best about medium rare to medium.

we had Andys batter. i dont know if it was Andys red or what it was. it wasnt spicy. it was great.
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 am

Every now and again, I fry pork ribs. I don't batter and fry them, I just season them with something like Tony's (or any other cajun style seasoning) and fry the ribs until the fat turns crunchy brown. In no way healthy, but delicious.

One day, we had some ringnecks from that morning, decided to season them with Tony's and fry them after the ribs were done. The combination of the oil being seasoned with pork fat imparted a great flavor to the duck breasts and it was great. You don't fry the crap out of the duck, like you do the ribs. You have to pull it out a little sooner, as someone said, duck tastes better towards the medium side.

I've fried ducks several other ways, but somehow this is my favorite. I do it mostly on camping trips where we have a mess of people to feed, but well worth it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking