daffy-need help tweeking a sauce...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

daffy-need help tweeking a sauce...

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:17 pm

O.K., I grilled two pork lions seasoned simply.
Made a sauce:
about 3/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup "Crasins" (cranberry rasins) coarse chopped
1/8 cup pistachios coarse chopped
2 TBSPs finely sliced green onions
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice

reduced cider to 1/2 volume with all top ingredients...then finished with a little half n half, salt and black pepper...
I used the half and half to make it a little more healthy than butter...oh and I thickened with a little corn starch...half n half didn't thicken as well as butter so I improvised...

well...the base flavor of the sauce was O.K., but it's missing some bite...what can I do to improve it?? open for suggestions... :thumbsup: :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: daffy-need help tweeking a sauce...

Postby daffy... » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 pm

just cracked my knuckles and my mouth waterd! haha. i usually love when one of my line cooks ask me this question but the problems is. i cant taste it, or smell it...

so im guessing your trying to achieve a earthy kind of bitter fruit flavor (craizens + applecider vin.)

as i see it you took a route of burblanc. seeped the craizen, nuts and scalions. then "thicken" via cream instead of butter.

with out tasting it theres a few ways i might point you. as for sauces (my specialty, hope one day to be a sauciet) i was always told to finish with a acid. weather it be just a teaspoon if vingar, or lemon juice for whatever reason really makes the sauces seasoning shine. so add the acid, stir and cut the heat.

better yet you need to bring more life to the cider, i would have used dried juniper berries, star anisa(spelling) and dried corriandor for seasonings on top of what you had. i would have seep all of those ingredients then strained them after 1/2 reduced. now youve got a really great... well; stock i suppose you could call it. <great method in really stepping up all sauces. then i would take new craizens and maybe soak them in something warm for about 15 minutes. apple juice? endless ideas. thatll give them a plump texture, still a dried fruit texture, just smoother. now i probably would have left the cream out inless i was putting it in a steam table or was having a hard time stablizing it. the sauce is great by itself and the pork loans are really going to add a bit of buttery flavor. so at this point id thicken the sauce with a slurry (liquid and cornstarch, arrow root is great too) so youd have a nice glassy glaze for your pork lion

but then again if you took butter, turned the heat way down and slowly stirred it in intel it turned to a silky sauce. this method requires lotssss of butter which would be much like a burblanc probably be pretty good too. JUST GO LIGHT WHEN POUR OVER PORK! sauces like that are better for fish

i had a menu iteam simular. took pineapple juice, orange juice, brown sugar, raisens and chopped pinapple. orange zest and lemon zest. reduce and thicken. real hit and very easy.

an idea next time to a simular sauce would be cran-apple juice, cider vin, brown sugar and the other ingrediants. reduce and thicken up
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks for the input...
as i see it you took a route of burblanc. seeped the craizen, nuts and scalions. then "thicken" via cream instead of butter.

with out tasting it theres a few ways i might point you. as for sauces (my specialty, hope one day to be a sauciet) i was always told to finish with a acid. weather it be just a teaspoon if vingar, or lemon juice for whatever reason really makes the sauces seasoning shine. so add the acid, stir and cut the heat.

that's basically what I did...the time I made it before, I didn't add the half n half...thought I'd try that out this time...
I'm thinking the taste I'm looking for that is missing is the absence of any kind of stock...I usually use the pan drippings for this, but since I grilled, no dice there...and I thought the venison stock I have in the freezer would be too intense a flavor...

I think you may have a good direction for me to go with it though:
an idea next time to a simular sauce would be cran-apple juice, cider vin, brown sugar and the other ingrediants. reduce and thicken up

it definitely could have used a little more sweet, but if I double up on the crasins like you mention that would help...I would probably use some steen's sugar cane syrup to enhance the earthy tones a bit, instead of brown sugar...but I'll play with it both ways... :thumbsup: thanks buddy!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:19 pm

anytime!
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:48 pm

inda might i remind you you're a coonass. i aint no pro cook, but i bet if you added some jalapenos too the mix you may like it more.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:29 pm

aggiechiro wrote:inda might i remind you you're a *******. i aint no pro cook, but i bet if you added some jalapenos too the mix you may like it more.

no doubt I'D like it better, but not the ladies I was cooking for... :biggrin:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:40 pm

well ya didnt say it was for ladies now did ya. but a good chunck of sweet can balance that out. most people can tolerate good tasting hot better than 'hot just to be hot'.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:11 pm

aggiechiro wrote:well ya didnt say it was for ladies now did ya. but a good chunck of sweet can balance that out. most people can tolerate good tasting hot better than 'hot just to be hot'.

I got a pepper laced pork recipe that I use and it is a sweet hot sauce..I was going for something mild intentionally.. :thumbsup:
and you are correct, the sweet hot on pork is awesome too!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 pm

well as long as i'm correct the details are gravy
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Inda, i make a pork chop with a similiar sauce but use fresh pressed apple cider, rosemary, thyme and dried tart cherries (that is a local thing, if you can't get them there let me know i'll hook you up, they friggin rock), have served it over braised cabbage, maybe a little more savory than your going for but very good
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:05 pm

jehler wrote:Inda, i make a pork chop with a similiar sauce but use fresh pressed apple cider, rosemary, thyme and dried tart cherries (that is a local thing, if you can't get them there let me know i'll hook you up, they friggin rock), have served it over braised cabbage, maybe a little more savory than your going for but very good

Tart cherries...hmmm, that sounds good. might have to try that; and I think I can get some from the local whole foods.. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 am

Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:Inda, i make a pork chop with a similiar sauce but use fresh pressed apple cider, rosemary, thyme and dried tart cherries (that is a local thing, if you can't get them there let me know i'll hook you up, they friggin rock), have served it over braised cabbage, maybe a little more savory than your going for but very good

Tart cherries...hmmm, that sounds good. might have to try that; and I think I can get some from the local whole foods.. :thumbsup:

they are great with walnuts in a chicken salad also.....in steel cut oatmeal with some toasted pecans and home made maple syrup....on a salad with a vinegrette....damned, I must be hungry :hi:
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby joshco84 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:56 pm

aggiechiro wrote:well ya didnt say it was for ladies now did ya. but a good chunck of sweet can balance that out. most people can tolerate good tasting hot better than 'hot just to be hot'.

I am all about good hot stuff but i agree too, i like it good and hot, and with a nice thick sweet sauce.

Pretty damn hard to beat in my opinion.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking