Need a Guinea Pig!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Need a Guinea Pig!

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:54 pm

i have a recipe that I use for venison but would like to try it with duck. Problem is, I'm in AZ and don't have any duck. Anyone with some leftover frozen breasts looking for something new, if you try this let me now how it turns out so I can add it to my repetoire (or not) when I get home.

Cook 1 lb bacon crispy in iron skillet
Remove, drain bacon, and crumble
Empty pan and save grease, but DO NOT clean pan
Reduce heat to low, add 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic and 1 lb washed spinach. Stir often so spinach doesn't get bitter
Wilt spinach and add to bowl with crushed bacon
Here I usually 2 lbs of almost shaved venison (smaller than bite size, twice as big as crumbled bacon) Don't know how much duck.
Brown QUICKLY- only 1-2 minutes. Like a stir fry. Remove and add to bowl with bacon and spinach.
Should have a mess of a pan by now. If spinach leached out too much, add about 1/4 inch of bacon grease.
Add very little flour, dash of olive oil, and white wine. Scrape bottom and reduce by half, tasting. Might need more wine to taste. DO NOT add salt, even if it tastes like you need it. The bacon added in next step will take care of this

Toss bowl of venison/duck, spinach and bacon with about 2/3 box of cooked thin spaghetti. Add reduction from pan and mix again. Eat til you can't move.

Like I said, I know this is good with venison, but seems liek it'd work with duck. Just curious, and thanks to anyone that gives it a whirl while I can't!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Re: Need a Guinea Pig!

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Assateague, I just tried it!...the Guinea Pig was great fixed this way :yes: I just hope my daughter don't take it so hard that I ate her rodent :wink: Oh! you want to know how DUCKS would taste :fingerhead:

This sounds like a great recipe! If I had some more ducks in the freezer, I'd try it :thumbsup:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duck$lammer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Someone must be stuck at fort wegotcha?
duck$lammer
hunter

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:52 pm

duck$lammer wrote:Someone must be stuck at fort wegotcha?

Yep, you know it- only as an instructor, not a soldier anymore! (Although I think that's worse, since I chose to come- the Army didn't send me this time!)
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby assateague » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:53 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Assateague, I just tried it!...the Guinea Pig was great fixed this way :yes: I just hope my daughter don't take it so hard that I ate her rodent :wink: Oh! you want to know how DUCKS would taste :fingerhead:

This sounds like a great recipe! If I had some more ducks in the freezer, I'd try it :thumbsup:

There's something wrong with you, Swamp! :lol: :lol:
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Assateague, I just tried it!...the Guinea Pig was great fixed this way :yes:

thats where i thought this one was going too
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:02 pm

I will put this one in my collection...I'm betting that it will be fabulous with duck tenderloins!! But It's hard to beat a duck tenderloin marsala!!! :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking