How do y'all cook your catfish?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

How do y'all cook your catfish?

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Just caught a couple channel cats in that 18-22 inch range, peeled some decent filets off em. I've never prepared catfish and ive only eaten it a handful of times. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just quick and simple. How do you guys do it?
Bill Herian
hunter

Re: How do y'all cook your catfish?

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:04 am

quick and easy?

1. mix corn meal and tony's
2. coat fillets
3. fry in oil
4. eat
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:18 am

What I normally do is fry them. This is not the only way, but this is what I do.

Take your catfish fillets, cut them up into about equal pieces, and put them in milk. If you're going to pan fry the whole fillet, thats fine. I normally like to cut them into smaller pieces and deep fry them in a dutch oven or large pot b/c they cook faster.

while they soak, I'll take some corn meal, and sprinkle Tony Chachere's (creole seasoning) to taste. If you mix this in a large baggie, you can just put your fish pieces right into the baggie and shake it around to cover the fish.

I like to make hush puppies with my fish. Make sure to fry the hush puppies before you fry the fish or they will turn out fishy. The recipe I use calls for:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
chopped onion
1 crushed clove of garlic
2 fresh chopped jalapenos
1 egg

mix together, then add just enough milk to make a paste. Then make them into small balls (~ smaller than a golf ball) and fry.

With the fish and hush puppies, the type of oil and oil temp is pretty important. For frying I like to use peanut oil b/c it is forgiving with being over temperature b/c it has a relatively high flash point. I usually like to fry things between 360-380F. If you don't have a fry thermometer, then I would pick one up at walmart because it makes all the difference in the world.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 pm

aggiechiro wrote:quick and easy?

1. mix corn meal and tony's
2. coat fillets
3. fry in oil
4. eat

x2 :thumbsup:
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:11 pm

fry them. yellow cats are great in a sauce picante though and fry the belly meat.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm

bayouboy wrote:fry them. yellow cats are great in a sauce picante though and fry the belly meat.

very true, though i don't hear many people discussing eating yellows. i've never minded them, but they dont seem to get the same level of attention.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:08 pm

aggiechiro wrote:
bayouboy wrote:fry them. yellow cats are great in a sauce picante though and fry the belly meat.

very true, though i don't hear many people discussing eating yellows. i've never minded them, but they dont seem to get the same level of attention.

some people may get them confused w/ a mud cat, but yellow cats eat live prey (probably not 100%) and are the best eating by far.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 am

bayouboy wrote:
aggiechiro wrote:

some people may get them confused w/ a mud cat, but yellow cats eat live prey (probably not 100%) and are the best eating by far.

yellow cats = flatheads...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bayouboy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Indaswamp wrote:yellow cats = flatheads...

=goujon
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:20 am

Sometimes I filet and sometimes I skin and steak depending on the mood I am in. I always keep a big bag of Andy's Red Fish Breading on hand. Wal Mart has it in small bags but I go to Rural King and get the big bags. I also have seen the large bags of it at TSC.

Andy's Red is seasoned perfect for me but I do like to mix in some Italian breadcrumbs. I fry in peanut oil which I like to have somewhere between 350 and 380. I roll the steaks or filets in the Andy's making sure they are completely coated and drop them in the hot peanut oil and let them do their thing until they are crisp (can't stand soggy fish that is falling apart). The Andy's sticks to the filets very well without having to do the egg and milk and it really puts that crisp shell on the filet that I am so fond of.

The Andy's also comes in white and Cajun for those who want that spicier cajun flavor but the Red is hard to beat. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:18 am

DuckinFool wrote: (can't stand soggy fish that is falling apart). The Andy's sticks to the filets very well without having to do the egg and milk and it really puts that crisp shell on the filet that I am so fond of.

Soggy fish has more to do with oil temperature than anything else. the oil has to be hot enough to cause the moisture in the fish boil out. This is what keeps the grease from penetrating the fish and making it soggy.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 am

GroundSwatter wrote:
DuckinFool wrote: (can't stand soggy fish that is falling apart). The Andy's sticks to the filets very well without having to do the egg and milk and it really puts that crisp shell on the filet that I am so fond of.

Soggy fish has more to do with oil temperature than anything else. the oil has to be hot enough to cause the moisture in the fish boil out. This is what keeps the grease from penetrating the fish and making it soggy.

:thumbsup: fry fish @ 365-375 and you will not have soggy fish...and let the pot heat back up when you remove a batch. I recommend the use of an infared digital thermometer...you can pick one up at lowe's for like 25 bucks... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Fish removed from the fryer too soon will also turn soggy. You think they are just right and after they sit for a few minutes you have spongecake fish. Seen that happen also.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:08 am

Man you southern guys are killing me. I love eating that Catfish when i get down South. We catch some nice cats in our river systems around here but if you try to eat them they may just kill a man. Very high levels of PCB and Mercury.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby brassass » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:41 am

i have been using a new recipe

soak filets in beer, hot sauce and spicy mustard
coat in cornmeal