Best Sausage Recipe?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Best Sausage Recipe?

Postby loudnerd » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:59 am

I have invested in a grinder and a smoker and I was just curious if anyone has any tried and true recipes they use for any types of meat (fowl, venison, pork or beef)? I was looking at making links but would be willing to give patties a shot. Thanks ~Jon
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Re: Best Sausage Recipe?

Postby aggiechiro » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:18 pm

tatses vary. i've been told something was hot and found it bland, or told it was mild and wanted to cry(damn c00n@sses). i don't use a recipie when i do sausage. think about what you like and do that. usually i do add a good bit of garlic and sage because i like those flavors.
Last edited by aggiechiro on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:45 am

That's great advice. Thanks ~Jon
loudnerd
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:59 pm

if you like a jimmy dean style sausage youll like mine.

as i told you earlier save your bacon fat. why? cus most wild game are lean, and or you dont want their fat in your food cus of texture and flavor. so after you grind up your meat. ( i use a food processor sometimes), works well just becareful of weird lumpy chunks. do this twice. all culinary instructures will tell you this. take the meat all ground up... ill do my best to remember measurements. everything i cook (minus baking, which i dont do willingfuly anymore) i do by site and taste. take about 5 pounds ground meat and put about half a cup of the bacon fat into the mix. its better to have to much than not enough. if you have to much it just cooks off, people are usually turned off to a fatty patty but for your first batch go for it cus if you dont have enough ur patties are going to crumble when you cook them.

the most important part to me is fennal seeds. in a five pound batch ill do about a quarter - half cup. then i do about a quarter cup of cajun season, onion powder, garlic powder, dried marjorum, itilian seasoning, crack pepper, celery salt. dried red peppers. just about everything in my cabinet that would taste good at some point on a steak. stir well, then stir some more. use your hands, youll never get it done with a wooden spoon.

then make a small patty about the size of a quarter and taste it. remind you that all these seasonings havent had time to really set into the meat so if its blan *beware*. your mostly just checking to see if theres enough heat. your liking of garlic and the amount of salt is ok. also dont forget the bacon fat is gonna make the patties even saltier. hope this atleast points you in the right direction. ill refine my recipe with exact measurements come deer season and i make it again

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby loudnerd » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:11 pm

That is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder how this recipe would work in a casing? I was thinking about putting in a casing and smoking it. Thanks again for the help.~Jon
loudnerd
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:37 pm

same idea. probably grind up the fennel seeds in a clean coffee grinder first to avoid ripping the casing.... youll still need the bacon fat tho
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:08 am

LEM has some pretty good sausage making kits complete with the casings and full instructions. I go to Wally World and buy the cheapest 1 lb rolls of sausage they have and mix it in with my ground venison at 20%. :thumbsup: If you plan on doing sausages then be sure to buy a good stuffer.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks for the great advice! ~Jon
loudnerd
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am

Another tip I will leave with you is if you have a round or cabinet type smoker that is gas place a double layer of aluminum foil between the top of the water pan and the sausages while they smoke. Make sure the foil is touching all 4 sides. Not only does it keep the drippings from making a mess but it also keeps the heat more evenly dispersed.

If your smoker is a cabinet type I picked up a sausage hanging rack at Gander a few days ago that will mount right to the top of a Smoke Hollow or similar type smoker. It works awesome and increases your sausage capacity by 3 times or more. It has 8 hooks that we had 15 rolls hanging from with room for a few more.

It is very difficult to control temp on a charcoal or gas smoker so be sure to use the lowest setting and keep check on your sausages. Mine on low usually completes a batch in 4 to 5 hours.

Unless you have the commercial sized grinder do not waste your time trying to use sausage stuffing attachments to stuff sausages. It will kick your butt and kill your back. Get a crank type stuffer with the piston and canister. They cost a bit more but are the best investment you will make. I bought a 5 lb stuffer from Northern Tool that works great but if I had know then what I do now I would have bought a 15 lb capacity to cut down on the amount of reloading time. If you mostly are going to make snack sticks the 5 lb will do but if you are going to be doing 2 and 3 inch rolls them go bigger.

Hope this helps.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking