Need a Remedy

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Need a Remedy

Postby hogstomper » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:49 pm

I don't want to hear my wife complaion about the gaminess of a duck. i want to grill 'em so what can i do? i've never ate them so i kinda just wanted to skin 'em up after opening morning and throw some on a grill. should i let them soak in something or what. let me know, thanks!
You can't argue with stupid people.
hogstomper
hunter

Re: Need a Remedy

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:21 pm

i'm sure daffy or someone could get real technical, or you could look here as there are a ton of recipies on this board. but for quick and simple the easiset way to deal with 'gamy'(which i always thought was the taste of whatever non beef/chicken you're eating) is mustard. yellow mustard, honey mustard, grey poupon, whatever you like give it a light coat of that salt pepper and fire then cook it. the longer its on before you cook the more the flavor is hidden.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:47 pm

- Remember all FAT on wild Game is where the BAD taste is !!1Duck Commander seasoning, lightly, on both sides,Fry in butter all Gameeat is mostly DARK MEAT-and ALL DARK MEAT is better served med-to medium RARE !! All white Grouse, Rabbit, Squaril and especially BEAR Cook ALL THE WAY THROUGH !!! Bear is in the Pork Family- never eat Moose Liver too High in Vitamin A--can Kill !!!
decoycarver
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:57 pm

decoycarver wrote:Remember all FAT on wild Game is where the BAD taste is !!1Duck Commander seasoning, lightly, on both sides

because if they offered phil enough money to get his name on it it must be good, right?
Last edited by aggiechiro on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:32 pm

duck is very easy to make taste amazing. the worst cooked duck can be complamented with so many different sauces... so if cooked it right its a show stopper.

go out and get yourself a decent balsamic vinegar REDUCTIONS, if you think your capable, make it yourself. its simply balsamic vinegar REDUCED into a syrupy glaze, do it slow, low heat and stirr often. spend a little extra cash on the good stuff... even simpler, go and get yourself a fruit jam, jelly, perserve. i prefur apricote and a brand that has chunks of fruit. black berry is my second choice

wild duck i sear. commercial duck i reder the fat to get a crisp skin and outside.

basically your best bet is to wrap your duck breast in bacon, use a tooth pic to hold it down cus itll shrink when thrown on the grill or hot (keyword hot) pan. cook on all sides til the bacon is crisp. by then its usually done enough for my liking (med rare, internal temp of 120 deg. F). when i serve it to people that havent had it before i play it safe and cook it to mdium. a internal temp of 140 def. F. soo ill throw it in the oven to get that little extra doneness. with this recipe balsamic reduction is the best choice of glaze... when the breast are done to your liking slice the bird in 1/4 inch pieces. CUT AGAINST THE GRAIN, this would be across the breast. not up and down the breast.

or if you wanna just wham-bam it. take breast, salt and pepper liberaly and throw into a pan that is just about to smoke with a light layer of oil in the bottom. throw the breast in and watch you hands its gonna sizle and crackle. turn down just a hair to keep oil from spitting. do a golden brown sear on all sides and like the other recipe slice the breast agasint the grain. this will make your duck breast melt in your mouth and appear to be more tender. next i either cool the pan down. or use a new pan. put a small scoop of your jelly, jam, whatever and bring up to heat. as soon as the jelly bubbles stir jelly well and serve with that warm jelly on top of the sliced duck.

these are the easiest and by far the best recipes. feel free to ask any questions.

-certified chef
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:36 pm

aggiechiro wrote:i'm sure daffy or someone could get real technical,

...told ya so :biggrin:
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:40 pm

haha luckily i love my profession. people ask for recipes and it takes me a half hour to sum it up and explain it on the internet. most times i have to go back and try to cut my paragraphs in half to keep everyones focus :fingerhead:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm

well worth it. i usually try most of the things you post at least once.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:01 pm

good to know. thanks :thumbsup:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking