slow cooked

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

slow cooked

Postby aboz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:02 pm

How could i cook goose or brest so it is nice and tender where it just falls apart. what i have in mind is where it is in a sauce and it just shreds real easy. Do you just put it in the slow cooker with some sort of liquid or what?
take em
aboz
hunter

Re: slow cooked

Postby aggiechiro » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:13 pm

you could sear it on a pit, then wrap it in foil with bbq sauce or whatever flavor of mostiure you like and put it away from the heat for hours, or you could pu it in the slow cooker like you would a roast. either way should give very tender results. details would depend more on the tastes of whoever is eating it.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:06 am

one of the ways I cook duck and goose like that is to season the meat, sear in a very hot thick pan, once one side is browned 5 minutes maybe flip and add sliced onions, carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, thyme...whatever once those are in and the second side has had a few minutes to color (i do skin side up first) add 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of broth, beef if you don't have duck and place in a 275 degree oven for about 2-3 hours. i like this better with legs and thighs, the breasts will be tender but drier. the same method works well with a lot of different seasonings, you can add celery green pepper and onion and use diced tomatoes instead of wine with some creole seasoning...whatever

at camp this is dinner, the birds go from the the cleeaning table to the pan to the plate usually with some baked sweet potatoes and a couple bottles of ipa and maybe a decent meritage :thumbsup:

If you want a nice sauce, once out of the oven remove the meat strain the liquid,if you cooked it uncovered the sauce shouldn't need to be reduced, place the reserved liquid back into the pan and while it's still hot whisk in a cold pat of butter
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby daffy... » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:34 am

jehlers got the right idea. best way would be to braise. do some google searches for short ribs, pulled pork style braising recipes.

PM me, ill send you my e-mail. if you find a recipe, ill help you modify it.

very important you sear the meat first. itll help keep it from drying out, submerge in the liquid 5/6 of the way to the top of the meat and very important to check the internal temps to keep from over cooking.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking