classic! bacon wrapped

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

classic! bacon wrapped

Postby daffy... » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:41 pm

ive had a ton of people PM asking for simple recipes to help incourage family memebers to try duck. soo when i find time i gonna post up easy recipes with pics. here by far the best, easiest, and most common way of cooking these tasty creatures

first i started my "sauce" which consisted of balsamic vinegar, drop of honey and a tablespoon of sugar. put in pan, on low heat reduced in half.
015.jpg

next i layed out the bacon and breast to be wrapped. this is two teal breast overlapped.
017.jpg

put tooth picks threw each end becuase once you sear the bacon it shrinks.
018.jpg

i prefur to use my "grill pan" but any pan will do. heat the pan to about medium heat. its important to preheat to reduce the chances of the breast sticking. in nonstick pans i dont use any type of oil. the bacon is enough (in nonstick pans) to keep them from sticking.
019.jpg

next you need to finish the breast in the oven to reach a temp of 120, med rare. you need to leave the breast in longer on big birds. to know when its done press the breast, it should be firm. sorta like when you push the end of your nose. this means the duck is med rare. pull it from the oven
020.jpg

to get the best results after you pull from oven let breast "rest" on the cutting board for a few minutes to cool off and lock in juices. this is where i finish the sauce. becareful to not burn it, not only does balsamic reduction taste terrible burnt it makes a terrible mess. after resting slice breast the short length "agasint the grain" and fan over plate
022.jpg

now for the lustful reduction. take notice to how thick the sauce is. it coats the spoon rather well. the thicker the better.
023.jpg

this will go great with any starch. i prefur to roast or brasie some vegs for a side. parsnips and carrots go great.

enjoy! :thumbsup:

024.jpg
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Re: classic! bacon wrapped

Postby hauge87 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:58 am

sounds good! one question though, how much vinegar, or does it matter?

for six teal breast i used just over a quarter cup..... you can make your reduction ahead of time, it holds very well in the fridge but beware. when you cool this reduction down it gets thicker by about a third.

the honey and sugar isnt that important, it will just make a cheap vinegar taste better. so get a decent vinegar and just think about it being half the size... so if you have a cup of vinegar you should have half a cup of balsamic reduction after you simmer it.
hauge87
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:18 pm

I like 'em better on a charcoal fire grill... :thumbsup:
and we baste 'em with steen's cane syrup on the grill the last 2 minutes... :drool:
Most requested duck dish I do...although teal jambalaya is a close second! :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I like 'em better on a charcoal fire grill... :thumbsup:
and we baste 'em with steen's cane syrup on the grill the last 2 minutes... :drool:
Most requested duck dish I do...although teal jambalaya is a close second! :yes:

at my work we have a wood grill. thats where its at. add alittle smoky flavor to the mix.. mmmmm mm :drool:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby hauge87 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:20 pm

thanks for the help!
cant wait to give it a try!
hauge87
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking