first time jerky

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

first time jerky

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:01 pm

yeah so im using a smoker, and making duck jerky for the first time tonight... im using a couple different recipes i got from here so if it turns out bad im blaming you guys :pissed: :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:56 pm

yep it didnt turn out very well..... at all... in fact, i dont even think i can feed it to the dog... :thumbsdown: any suggestions?????
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby MacAttack » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:05 am

never tried jerky but smoked some duck using fishmunkee's recipe ( soy sauce, garlic, oregeno, basil and black pepper (to taste). Put in smoker until medium rare. Time depends on size of breast. Chill and slice cross-grain very thin. Serve with good Wisconsin cheese and crackers. Your guests will rave on the snackins'!)

So maybe this could work, honestly I have no idea I just wanted to get my 100th post!
MacAttack
hunter

Duck Jerky

Postby mjlduckman » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:37 pm

I made some for the first time two weeks ago. Here's what i did.

Grind all the meat up, add the ingredients from a packaged jerky mix, then add some soy and worchester sauces. I'd say 2 tablespoons per pound of meat for each. Then add a in a tablespoon of what ever other spices you like, me i use crushed red pepper and garlic pepper. Mix it all together in a bowl. Next, i bought one of the jerky shooters from sportsmans warehouse, but walmart probably has them too.
Just fill it up shoot it out onto metal racks and put in the oven on 200 for about 2-3 hrs or until desired doneness. I do the same with venison also. And it turns out great. You can also mix in smoke flavoring if you'd like, but be careful, that stuff is strong. Good luck
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:44 am

mj, could you use that recipe and use a smoker?
MacAttack
hunter

jerky

Postby mjlduckman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:05 am

Yeah I'd usa a smoker, the time i did it the smoker was full of duck summer sausage. Make sure your grill racks are real clean and spray them with Pam or similar, and just keep checking it until desired doneness.
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking