Breast or Whole Bird

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Breast or Whole Bird

Postby Waldo6 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Got into duck hunting a few years ago and love it. I always hunt with a friend, the friend who showed me the ropes. He always just cuts the breast out of the ducks and got rid of the rest. Do most just take the breast or the cook the entire bird?

Thanks
Waldo6
hunter

Re: Breast or Whole Bird

Postby aboz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm

I do a little of everything. Some just take the breasts and thighs, some I pluck and cook the whole bird. One of my favorite is taking the breasts out but connected to the breast bone, those are really good for grillin.
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:33 pm

depends on how many birds i shot and time i have to cook and prepare. also size of bird. big ole blacks get plucked.

my favorite is to pluck the breast, leave the skin on and breat em out. grill the skin on low heat and it gets crispy.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:34 pm

unless i really shot up the wings/legs i don't just breast birds. i keep the hearts for bbq, fry the gizzards. some of the birds get cooked whole in the oven, bbq'd, fried, who knows. some i will breast, but i save the wings/legs off of those for hotwings. i like duck meat, its one of the reasons i duck hunt. why would i waste that?

if someone wants to just breast them, well to the best of my knowledge that doesn't legally count as waste anywhere. however i can't justify it. i can skin and gut a duck in a few minutes, a goose under 5. 10 birds is 30-45 minutes of work, with all the time hunting takes if you can't commit that to prep the birds you probably don't have the time to be hunting.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

aggiechiro wrote:unless i really shot up the wings/legs i don't just breast birds. i keep the hearts for bbq, fry the gizzards. some of the birds get cooked whole in the oven, bbq'd, fried, who knows. some i will breast, but i save the wings/legs off of those for hotwings. i like duck meat, its one of the reasons i duck hunt. why would i waste that?

if someone wants to just breast them, well to the best of my knowledge that doesn't legally count as waste anywhere. however i can't justify it. i can skin and gut a duck in a few minutes, a goose under 5. 10 birds is 30-45 minutes of work, with all the time hunting takes if you can't commit that to prep the birds you probably don't have the time to be hunting.

:thumbsup:
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 am

unless they're tore up I save the legs ,small but tasty and TENDER!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:31 pm

same as most of the other replies: will definately pluck wood ducks & teal. if i do breast other ducks, i keep the legs (also always keep the hearts and gizzards, too, most of the time).

if they have a lot of pin feathers, i'll breast them.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Fowl Shot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:20 am

aggiechiro wrote:well to the best of my knowledge that doesn't legally count as waste anywhere.

It's considered waste in Oregon. Check the regs.

Doesn't mean we don't all do it.

It's a lot like speeding.
We all do it.
You just don't want to be caught doing it.
Fowl Shot
hunter

Postby JTR » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 am

I keep at least the breast and legs on all ducks. I keep the gizzard and heart as well. I do like a roasted duck with gravy and fixins too, so if there are very few pin feathers, then I pluck the whole bird.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Fowl Shot wrote:It's considered waste in Oregon. Check the regs.

Doesn't mean we don't all do it.

my speedomoter may be 'inaccurate' from time to time, but i don't waste birds. never had any interest in oregon, but i like that rule.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm

bayouboy wrote:same as most of the other replies: will definately pluck wood ducks & teal. if i do breast other ducks, i keep the legs (also always keep the hearts and gizzards, too, most of the time).

at da camp when we are really into the birds early in the season, we will pop the breasts bones out with the wings and tag them then throw 'em on ice...I'll pull the hearts and gizzards out to make dirty rice, and save 2 days worth of legs and thighs for a gumbo at the camp. we usually smoke two chickens while we are at the camp and I'll boil the bones and every thing that is left down to make a stock for da duck gumbo... :yes: bring a little aundouillie (onions stay stocked at da camp) and man you talk about good after an afternoon hunt when a wet rainy cold front blows through!! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Indaswamp on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:41 pm

we do pluck quite a few birds for pot roasting/grilling/soups/gumbos though...usually later in the season when the birds don't have pin feathers.
BTW-I like ducks with white fat over ducks with yellow fat-much tastier to me.
white fat would be widgeons, pintails, teal, woodies, canvasbacks,redheads...am I missing any??
yellow fat: mallards, spoonbills, gadwalls, most other divers, etc...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby texan68 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:59 pm

I usually breast out my birds just for timing....it would take a long time to pluck a limit of birds. I will occasionally pluck and use the entire bird for a recipe....if I get a real nice fat bird, usually can, pintail or mallard. I usually do a few for the holidays....stuff em full of slices oranges, salt pepper to taste.
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:
bayouboy wrote:same as most of the other replies: will definately pluck wood ducks & teal. if i do breast other ducks, i keep the legs (also always keep the hearts and gizzards, too, most of the time).

at da camp when we are really into the birds early in the season, we will pop the breasts bones out with the wings and tag them then throw 'em on ice...I'll pull the hearts and gizzards out to make dirty rice, and save 2 days worth of legs and thighs for a gumbo at the camp. we usually smoke two chickens while we are at the camp and I'll boil the bones and every thing that is left down to make a stock for da duck gumbo... :yes: bring a little aundouillie (onions stay stocked at da camp) and man you talk about good after an afternoon hunt when a wet rainy cold front blows through!! :thumbsup:

dont sound bad at all.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking