Freezing breasts in water question

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Freezing breasts in water question

Postby tbakeranderson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 am

As everyone knows, using ziploc bags without a vacuum sealer leads to freezer burn so I am looking into better methods to preserve the duck breasts better.

Looking at vacuum sealers, the ones that are $100-$200 get crappy reviews on amazon and Cabela's, while the $400 ones get good reviews - but that is a lot of coin to drop on a vacuum sealer. The ziploc pump seems to get inconsistent reviews but for only $5 it is a no risk proposition, but some people say the seal fades pretty quickly once in the freezer.

So my question is, does freezing the breasts in water preserve the meat well? Seems like that is the cheapest and easiest way but just wondering if it works well. If the vacuum sealer is that much better I'll bite the bullet and get one but wanting to see if there are cheaper ways that are as good, or almost as good.
tbakeranderson
hunter

Re: Freezing breasts in water question

Postby FLT MEDIC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 am

I don't freeze breasts in h2o but i do freeze them in marinade and it seems to prevent freezer burn and gets them nice and tasty.
FLT MEDIC
hunter

Postby tbakeranderson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:12 pm

One other question..for birds frozen this year in a ziploc without water or vacuum, should I add water now before freezer burn takes hold?
tbakeranderson
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Putting water in the bag will help for sure, that's how we do fillets in the summer, BUT, I don't know how big your freezer is, but there is no way we can add water with all the venison, honkers, ducks, fish, turkey and what not. When I find is easier is if you just put the open bag in water then seal it up.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

We would freeze them in water with a little salt in there as well. Do it like we would do fish fillets. Make sure to label how many breasts etc are in there, otherwise you never know exactly what you're getting out of your freezer.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby NYGOOSEHUNTER » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 pm

FWIW try those new ziplocs that vaccum seal with the pump( pump is $2.99). Since we usually have mass quantities of goose breasts during the early season, I take a large igloo cooler 1/4 to 1/2 full of ice.....add about a 1/2 box of kosher salt to ice and fill with breasts and water. Every hour or so, drain half liquid and replace with fresh water. Do this for several hours( preferably till the water runs clear. Remove breasts, pat dry and vaccum seal. Those vaccum seal ziplocs have worked well for me, although I still use the commercial vaccum sealer when I have 70 to 80 breasts to do. NOTE: Thoroughly clean out the cooler after EVERY use ( bleach/water solution).
"CALL ME AARON BURR...CAUSE I'M DROPPIN' HAMILTONS!!"
NYGOOSEHUNTER
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:08 pm

I freeze everything in water using quart zip lock bags. Simply put your breasts or whatever else you have, in a bowl or sink full of water. Lable your ziplock as to what it is and the date with a Sharpie. Submerge the bag in the water and slide a portion into it, squeeze the excess water and any air bubbles out of the bag and ZIP CLOSED UNDER THE WATER. When you remove the bag it "shrinks" and forms a liquid seal around the meat. Dry it off on a towel and freeze. I just pulled a piece of venison backstrap out of the freezer recently that was taken in 2006. All I can say is that 2006 was a good year. :smile: As good, if not better, than the day I froze it. Freezer burn is caused by air reaching the food. I have one of those pricey vacuum sealer machines and found that it was a waste of money. The bags break/rip in the freezer if you start digging around looking for something. If you freeze something in water, it doesn't matter, the bag can rip off and the food is still protected. You can get fancy and get a cardboard lid from a shoebox and place the unfrozen bags into it prior to putting them in the freezer. They conform to the shape of the box and when they freeze they take on the shape of the lid (squares) and then you can stack them to make more room. I'm getting ready to defrost some goose breasts that were frozen in 2008. Not a problem. Oh, I have an old L.L. Bean Wild Game Cookbook and it discusses ageing meat. You can hang it for a week or two, or FREEZE it for a year. Frozen meat, in the absence of air, while slowly "age" and become tender over time. Cold slows enzymatic action, but does not stop it. Try it, you will not be disappointed.
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby tbakeranderson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:19 am

Dingbatter - Thx for the info...I took the birds I have from this season and did as you said - under the water, etc. I aldready had them labeled and packaged into either 2 breasts or 4 breasts so they are in 1 serving qty's. The look like they will be free from freezer burn they way they are now.

I'll start adding salt water to the ones I shoot from here on out and try that.

Thx to everyone that gave their $.02.
tbakeranderson
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:47 pm

im not sure where this trend came from but as a commerical chef i can only shake my head. for fish i think this method (drown in water) would work OK, only ok. basically; water is the only chemical that expands when under extreme cold. (being used to make energy now because of this property) and crappy fish is sent this way. i say this isnt a good method becuase your wrecking the structure of the meat by forcing water into its poors they stretching them by means of freezing.

food saver is the way to go.

your going to have the best results freezing ANYTHING, and EVERYTHING by IQF. in my line of work this mean individual, quick, freeze.

take a sheet pan or, well anything flat and that wil keep from making a mess in your freezer. put your breat, filet, whatever i even do little shrimp, smell etc. this way. sread apart on the pan. i do none stick spray first so i can get them off easily. freeze the product solid. unwrapped. then bag the IQF pieces making sure to get out alll the air. not only can you take out as many as you desire to eat. your going to avoid freezer burn cus your gonna lose that little bit of moisture that is lost when your product is frozen into the freezer. not the bag etc. it was first stored in
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking