making a gas smoker better?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

making a gas smoker better?

Postby aftershox454 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:25 pm

hey guys,

i bought a gas upright smoker from home depot about a year ago now and last month i RUINED about $75 worth of smoked salmon, and had nothing but trouble with duck last year, burn it one time then never got to done the next, dried out the next bunch..... :mad: the temp is all over the map and it seems to be very inconsistent.

I am gearing up to smoke some of my duck and don't want to have the same result.

I am hoping that there is a way to make that gas smoker work better. Anything short of "buying a new smoker " would be appreciated. I am hoping that someone has a great tip or trick to hep keep the temp regulated better.

but at this point I am willing to buy a new lp element or convert the damn thing to electric to avoid losing all that duck :crying:

anybody got some ideas for me? :bow: :bow:

Thanks in advance
aftershox454
hunter

Re: making a gas smoker better?

Postby countryboy32c » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:43 pm

I have tried electric, gas, and wood. Personally I prefer wood with a good water pan below the meat. For me it is easier to control the temp. Walmart has a good cheap barrel smoker for around 150 bucks. I had mine for 6-7 years and never had a problem with it. I have used straight wood in the fire box or used charcoal up top with wood chips and the duck breasts at the other end.
A countryboy can survive
countryboy32c
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking