Duck Stew

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Duck Stew

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 am

Any have a recipe I could do in the crockpot. Even if it is a beef stew and I could just substitute duck. Any help would be appreciated.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby decoydog » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:43 am

This one is my favorite!

(6-8 servings)
1 quart duck meat; skinned, boned and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cans or bottles flat beer
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 medium red potatoes, skin-on; diced into 1 inch cubes
1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes (with juice)
2 quarts beef broth

Combine beer with next 3 ingredients in a glass or plastic bowl. Add duck, toss gently, cover and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours. Remove duck from marinade, reserve marinade. Heat oil in a heavy-duty stockpot over medium-high heat. Add duck and cook until browned evenly. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes, reserved marinade, diced tomato and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until duck falls apart when poked with a spoon, about 2 to 3 hours.

NOTE: Stew may be made a day or two ahead and reheated prior to serving.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:59 pm

The only way we have made stew is to take all of our left over rosted duck and jucies chop all the meat up put it in a pot and add a little corn starch.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:45 pm

Stew?

Use legs/thighs only. Breasts are too good for the crockpot. Separate them at the joints and proceed with any stew recipe that uses chicken/turkey/pheasant - or even beef. Long, slow and low is thge key. You want the meat to fall off the bone and you want it to cook in whatever liquid you're using. Don't let it dry out...
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking