1/2 cup bacon drippings
2 bay leaves
1 bottle Burgundy wine
4 super Lg. white or yellow onions 1/4" dice
2 medium bell peppers 1/4" dice
1/2 cup minced garlic
1/2 bunch celery 1/4" dice
2-3 cups sliced mushrooms (optional)
(2-4) 16oz. cans Ro-tel tomatoes (original with green chillies) -as much heat as you like this is a spicy dish so kick it up!!
diced pickled jalapenos to taste
(2) 16oz. cans diced stewed tomatoes
(1) 20oz. or ~ (1/2) a 2 liter bottle 7-up or Sprite
2-3 cups dark brown roux
1 cup thinly sliced green onion tops
Zest from 1/2 a lemon...finely diced (1/16")
juice of 1 lemon
salt, black and red pepper to taste

To cook:
In a 4 gallon black iron pot, heat bacon drippings on med. high heat. season cubed venison liberally with cajun seasoning. add venison to pot and fry until liquid evaporates. cook till outside of meat browns and starts to stick. add bay leaves, white onions and cook until they turn clear, stirring and scraping bottom of pot to keep dripping from scorching. when onions are clear, add bell peppers, garlic, celery and stewed tomatoes. cook additional 20 minutes, then deglaze pot with burgundy wine. reduce wine to 1/2 volume and add ro-tel tomatoes and slowly pour in 7-up...being careful as the carbonation will bubble up -stir constantly until all is incorporated.(the carbonic acid helps to tenderize the meat ) once bubbles settle, bring to a boil. Add roux and stir in...cook for 30 minutes then reduce heat to simmer. cook for 1 1/2~2 hours until meat is fork tender. add lemon zest and green onions, check salt and pepper add as needed, simmer 20 minutes and serve over hot white rice with a good bottle of Amarone wine and hot french bread.

*Edit-pic. added:

See less See more
#3 ·
mequain said:
Can the wine be substituted with anything, i might try this out pretty soon.
the wine is pretty important to the recipe...the alcohol cooks out and boils off if you are wondering...none left in the stew when it's finished cooking. but if you simply MUST substitute-deglaze the pot with a 1/4 cup of water and pour in 2-2 1/2 cups of beef stock (which you can now buy at most grocery stores) or better yet-make venison stock out of the deer bones when you harvest a deer. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
some of you non-foodie types may think this is to much effort but let me tell you, throw away your crock pot's and lipton soup mix, forget abut jalapenos and bacon, leave the barbaque sauce for your kids chicken nuggets, get off your ass and get cooking. I am not a huge venny fan, I love me a backstrap steak with a reduced congac gorganzola cream sauce with sun dried maters but the rest of the deer we usually grind into sausage......not any more, I was out of venny a month after the season after swamp gave me this recipe. the first time I made it my wife thought it was a little sweet so I substituted 50/50 chicken/beefstock for half the 7-up, both ways it is frigging amazing good, don't substitute the wine in the cooking, the amerone for eating with is a pricey bottle but really, once you taste this you'll think it's worth it, if you can't afford the amerone there are plenty of wines made in the amerone style that are good and if you cant swing that get a chianti. I have since cooked this a half dozen times with duck and goose thighs and legs, you wankers had better not be breasting the birds and tossing the legs & thighs, they are the best parts....regardless, good with any critter, got jr.working on filling a bushel basket with english sparrow, bet even Inda has never had sparrow sauce piquant :lol3:
thanks Inda

#6 ·
jehler said:
... bet even Inda has never had sparrow sauce piquant :lol3:
thanks Inda
as a matter of fact-yes I have! well, blackbird-not sparrow...but I'm sure they taste about the same. You got enough to make a sparrow sauce piquant yet?

#8 ·
ducks~n~bucks said:
questions. What is dark brown roux/roux in general? And is it substitutable? DO I need the bacon drippings?
Roux is flour an oil. the flour is fried until it becomes brown. no it is not substitutable. it is necessary to thicken the gravy. you can make a roux in the microwave without the oil though.

and the bacon grease is preferable...

#11 ·
This looks intense. I make some stew every year from my venison and duck stock but I'll have to try this and the venison stock. Don't worry I have no problems using wine and love Amarone.

I really need a big cast iron pot. I have a dutch oven, assorted skillets, and a smallish rectagular pot. Then I got the big stainless for seafood boils but it is way to big.

#12 ·
I cooked up a big pot full yesterday for Sunday supper and invited the family over. Thought I knew most of the ways to dress up deer meat well I was wrong. Got to admit I was little worried if all those ingredients were going to marry up and taste ok but they sure did. Inda my hats off to you that is a great recipes hope this is at least close to what it should look like. I think my half bunch celery is little big. I am not much on wine so for those that are wondering its good with a cold beer as well.[/img]

#13 ·
rivercountry said:
I cooked up a big pot full yesterday for Sunday supper and invited the family over. Thought I knew most of the ways to dress up deer meat well I was wrong. Got to admit I was little worried if all those ingredients were going to marry up and taste ok but they sure did. Inda my hats off to you that is a great recipes hope this is at least close to what it should look like. I think my half bunch celery is little big. I am not much on wine so for those that are wondering its good with a cold beer as well.[/img]
:thumbsup: glad you enjoyed it. gravy looks to be little thinner than I would make it, but over all, it does look appetizing! :thumbsup: hat off to you....now you got no excuse no to try some of my other recipes. :beer:

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gave this recipe a go yesterday and it turned out great. Only modification I did to it was add about a pound and a half of pork chunks to it. When I was adding the diced jalapenos I accidentally ended up dumping the whole jar in so that gave it a little bite but nobody complained. Turned out great and had plenty left over even with 9 people chowing down on it. Awesome recipe and highly recommended!
photo.JPG

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.