First Whole goose- Help?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

First Whole goose- Help?

Postby Macklin96 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I usually just breast out my ducks and geese but my mom wanted a complete goose for thanksgiving. I got two completly cleaned up with skin still on them now I am lost. I usually marinate in italian dressing for 8-10 hours. What should i do with a whole goose?
Macklin96
hunter

Re: First Whole goose- Help?

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:02 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:00 am

find a large carving fork the two tined kind ,stab or prick lots of holes through the skin all over stuff [if you want to] with celery bread crumbs chestnuts etc. and place on a rack at least an inch above the pan bottom so the grease cooked out will not soak back into your bird slap that thing in the oven and wait you can rub down with a little margarine and sprinkle with rosemary too
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:07 pm

brine it. throw it in a zip lock with cider, salt water, pepper corns, orange slices, rosemary etc. i like 36 hours in the brine but thanksgiving aint that far away.then i stuff its cavaity with apple slices and orange sices. then i make a glaze for it while it roast. last one i did was apple n armoredo (spelling? the almond liquore) thicken it up with corn starch slurry and brown sugar... ever 20 minutes i brush the bird with this glaze so by the time its done its looks golden and carmalized. cook it to a internal temp of 135
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:10 pm

and for anybody who thinks duck stamps are too high a friend called me yesterday wanting me to remember her for Christmas with a whole goose plucked not skinned ,the price in the grocery for a goose $40 are you kidding me!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking