Sausage Recipes?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Sausage Recipes?

Postby JTR » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:35 pm

I've got probably about 10 pounds of assorted duck meat, including mostly mallard and blacks, but also a few divers and the odd merganser thrown in. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to make some sausage out of it. I've done my own pork sausage before and that was easy, but I've never made any out of a really lean meat like duck. I'm thinking about taking the duck meat and mixing it in a 4/1 ratio with pork fat or 3/1 with bacon to make the meat for the sausage. Then I'd mix in whatever else I want in there. I've done a killer jalapeno and cheddar sausage that was awesome. I'm just trying figure out if my numbers are right with the meat and fat. If you have any recipes that you want to share, let me know. Thanks
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Re: Sausage Recipes?

Postby daffy... » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:31 pm

i use rendered bacon fat. also i like to leave the skin on the breast when i breast birds. when i cook it i render the fat from that too. between both i get some great fowl, venison sausage
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 pm

I've been looking into making sausage myself...found this cool site:
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 am

JTR wrote:I've got probably about 10 pounds of assorted duck meat, including mostly mallard and blacks, but also a few divers and the odd merganser thrown in. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to make some sausage out of it. I've done my own pork sausage before and that was easy, but I've never made any out of a really lean meat like duck. I'm thinking about taking the duck meat and mixing it in a 4/1 ratio with pork fat or 3/1 with bacon to make the meat for the sausage. Then I'd mix in whatever else I want in there. I've done a killer jalapeno and cheddar sausage that was awesome. I'm just trying figure out if my numbers are right with the meat and fat. If you have any recipes that you want to share, let me know. Thanks

check the sticky at the top of the page... :thumbsup:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=71435
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby JTR » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:19 am

Awesome. Thanks guys. I didn't even see the sticky at the top.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking