First Time Cookin' Sea Duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

First Time Cookin' Sea Duck

Postby DanJeffandJack » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:40 am

Hey guys,

I've been up in Maine for T-giving and shot my first Sea Ducks. I am going to be cooking them up tomorrow (Monday) and was wondering if anyone had any delicious recipes for Sea Ducks? I have never shot any before and this is my first time cooking them. I have already got them soaking in saltwater and will switch them over to buttermilk later this afternoon. Any recipe suggestions?

-Andrew
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Re: First Time Cookin' Sea Duck

Postby JTR » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:14 am

I've heard slice them and pound them very thin. Coat with breadcrumbs and fry. That way you are eating more bread crumb coating than duck. I've personally never eaten them, but I haven't heard too many good things.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:13 pm

JTR wrote:I've heard slice them and pound them very thin. Coat with breadcrumbs and fry. That way you are eating more bread crumb coating than duck. I've personally never eaten them, but I haven't heard too many good things.

heard wrong. plenty of great recipes

i do it a lot like i do my liver and onions. saute onions, dredge slices of duck in flour. saute golden brown on both sides then drop the pan temp. to low. mix in black berry presurve add water to thin to your liking. dont usually have to though.

blackened is great... dry rub then roast is a knock out too
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Rod W » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 am

We just had Old Squaw breasts for supper last nite, delicious! I too had heard they were inedible from lots of people including guides and outfitters! Just as was said, 1st nite in salt water, slice into meat so fluids can get into breast, 2nd nite in buttermilk, 4-6 hours in Italian dressing, wrap individual pieces in bacon and grill for aprox. 5 minutes per side. Delicious, NO FISH TASTE WHATSOEVER!! I had just recieved the latest issue of Wildfowl magazine and read where the editor, Paul Wait had Old Squaws on his bucket list so I emailed Paul and invited him along on the Old Squaw trip we were planning for the next week, on Lk Michigan. Check out http://www.wildfowlmag.com for Paul's, 2 1/2 minute clip of the hunt!! Thank You, ROD
Rod W
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking