Duck Hunting Forum banner

Coot...the other white..umm.. dark meat

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  aggiechiro 
#1 ·
Well, I did something I thought I would never do...After reading on here and other places on the net I finally got up my nerve to breast out a few coots we shot over the weekend..I breasted the meat off the bone into 2 little fillets which basically looked like dove breast on steroids..To my suprise there was no funky smell..So anyway I read that to clean these little black bandits, make sure you just get all the skin(Which i did when cutting meat off breastbone), remove all the fat(Which was just a little on the edges) and soaked it overnight in plain ole saltwater..Today I took and rinsed the meat a few times to get remaining blod out, and just rolled it in flour with a little salt and pepper...I didn't want to mask the original taste so I kept it simple to see if it really was good or not...

Well I'll tell you this..I'll never EVER go hunting on Ky. Lake again without bringing home a limit of coots EVERY DAY!!!

It had no bad smell when cooked and tasted basically like any other duck I have eaten..Especially divers..I have eaten all divers except mergansers so far..This includes goldeneye,bluebills,cans,buffies,redheads.ringnecks...All of those taste very good as well...

Now there is gonna be some people on here with a..well what I'll just say "A more feminine pallet" that will say I'm full of poopoo..and that's fine..I don't want anyone else to shoot em..More for me..

When I cook these dudes up in a real recipe they will be to die for..Just thought I would share this frightening experience that is not scary anymore...MMMMMMMmmmmmm love em...

See less See more
#3 ·
I already talked to my 3 boys about going the first weekend following opener..If all 4 of us go we can take out 60 of them black bandits..I'm gonna thin em out for sure...The only thing left waterfowl wise that i havent tried is any of the mergansers..I'll tell ya after smelling puked up fish guts coming out of the dead ones mouth I may have a hard time with that one...Sometime this seaon I'll grow a pair and try em...

#4 ·
dablaw said:
I already talked to my 3 boys about going the first weekend following opener..If all 4 of us go we can take out 60 of them black bandits..I'm gonna thin em out for sure...The only thing left waterfowl wise that i havent tried is any of the mergansers..I'll tell ya after smelling puked up fish guts coming out of the dead ones mouth I may have a hard time with that one...Sometime this seaon I'll grow a pair and try em...
I'm a coona$$ and I don't like mergansers....that ought to tell ya somethin... :hi:

#6 ·
Indaswamp said:
dablaw said:
I'm a coona$$ and I don't like mergansers....that ought to tell ya somethin... :hi:
they go in the chili pot. otherwise i don't want them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.