Need a good brine/smoke recipe!

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Need a good brine/smoke recipe!

Postby aftershox454 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:42 am

Hey Gang,

with lots of practice ( and $ on meats) i've been getting better with my gas smoker, but am getting rather tired of the same old apple/orange brine i've been using.and was hoping to take things up a notch with a little bit more smoke flavor and spice. I've been smoking at about 200-225 for about 1.5 - 2 hours with the breasts wrapped in bacon.

I have a big hunt coming up before christmas and want to suprise all the guys with some smoked duck from our last outing. expectations are pretty high as my last batch was decent enough (but still not great) to grant me butcher, and cook duties the last time around and I need a real kick *** brine and smoke combo to really impress and keep my freezer full of duck breasts!

does anyone have a great brine and smoke combo they wouldn't mind sharing?

thanks in advance
Alex
aftershox454
hunter

Re: Need a good brine/smoke recipe!

Postby WoodDuck21 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Brines can be versitale.....start with the basic salt, sugar, water/ice, and add to your hearts content. Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, Bay Leaves, garlic, some onion, a lil white wine, peppercorns, and chilli flakes are one i use alot. Apple cider, Maple syurp, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, are another one i use in the winter months. Soy sauce, Pineapple chunks AND juice, garlic, green onion, chili flakes or fresh jalapeno, and ginger for an asian/hawaian taste. Just play around and find what you like. Possibilities are endless. :thumbsup:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm

And as far as smoke goes that preference as well. Apple, Cherry, Maple tend to be "lighter and sliglty sweeter" smoke flavors. Pecan and Alder tend to be middle of the road as far as smokeiness and flavor, and good all around woods. And Oak, Hickory, Mesquite tend to be heavy more intense smoke flavors. And the amount or intesity of smoke can be controlled via vents or smoke stacks. The more smoke trapped in the cooking vessel the more it soaks into the meat as opposed to smoke just flowing over it. If that makes sense? No expert by any means, but have smoked my fair share. :biggrin: Like i said its all about experimintation.
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby aftershox454 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:29 pm

thanks wood duck,

i think i'll be trying the hawaiian one with some hickory smoke!
aftershox454
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:29 am

BTW nothing says you have to use water in your brine. Instead of water use Orange or Pineapple juice. Those flavors traditionally pair well with duck, since the french often make Duck L'Orange.

As for wood, I prefer Mesquite for most everything I smoke but for a long time that is just what I had. When all I had was Oak, I used it b/c its what I had. I would experiment with typical smoking woods from your area and use what is available and cheap. I'm trying to find some buttonwood down here in GTMO since it is a more typical smoking wood of the region.

Since its duck breasts and not a whole duck, I don't think you'll have an issue with getting it too smokey as they should be done pretty quick, but I'm not that familiar with your smoker or how you typically smoke things.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking