Easy Venison Florentine- Pics

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Easy Venison Florentine- Pics

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 am

This is pretty easy. I don't know what "florentine" actually means, but it's the name some of my hillbilly friends gave it. According to Preacher, there's a chef on here somewhere, I'm sure he could straighten me out. I'll try to do it with comments in the pics. Before starting, put on a big pot of water to boil and begin cooking two small boxes of thin spaghetti.

venison1.jpg
Shave/slice very thin half of one medium backstrap, and set aside to get to room temperature

venison2.jpg
Cook one pound of bacon, crispy, and drain. Do not clean out the pan, just empty the grease into a container for later. Don't scrape bottom.

venison3.jpg
Add one pound of baby spinach to frying pan. Make sure heat is low, as you don't want to burn this even a little, or it will taste bad. Completely wilt spinach, adding a little bit of white wine to help it steam.

venison4.jpg
You should end up with something like this. Add two heaping spoonfuls of canned minced garlic, and let simmer for one minute, then remove from pan. The pan should be pretty clean by the this point.

Now add a couple spoonfuls of the bacon grease, and quick fry the backstrap. Add one more heaping spoonful of garlic. Do this quickly- any longer than one minute, and the venison was too thick or you're cooking it too long. Remove venison from pan, but don't clean frying pan.

venison5.jpg
Mix spinach, backstrap, and crumbled bacon in a bowl.

Add three spoonfuls of bacon grease to pan, fill pan halfway with white wine, and boil to reduce. When reduced to aboiut half, add a little cornstarch mixture to thicken slightly. BE CAREFUL here- you don't want it too thick. To be continued, so I can add the last pic.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Re: Easy Venison Florentine- Pics

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:34 am

venison6.jpg
Mix it all up in a bowl, add some sauce from pan, mix and eat. Don't add any salt- you are eating a pound of bacon, and pretty much all the grease. This dish is not for the heart-unhealthy, but it sure is good!
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:54 pm

gotta give it a try AT... :thumbsup: the calories we burn the way we hunt...I loose weight during duck season!! :yes: we use bacon fat in place of butter on biscuits!!! :eek: :beer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:10 am

There is nothing in this world as good as bacon grease! Let me know when you're ready for me to send you some scrapple- you'll love it!
WOLVERINES

assateague

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 am

Looks really good. I miss venison. I liked eating duck, but they were just more fun to hunt than anything else, but I really miss having venison in the freezer. It doesn't replace beef, but some dishes, like chicken fried steak, just don't taste right to me unless its venison.

Inda is living the life, fresh seafood plus ducks and deer to hunt.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking