Electric Smoker

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Electric Smoker

Postby Jgdavis123 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Currently in the market for a smoker and leaning towards an electric one due to the ease of use. Anyone have any experience with electric smokers? Pros or Cons are welcome. Any recommendations on brands or models? Equally important, any brands or models I should stay away from?

Thanks for the help,

Jon
Jgdavis123
hunter

Re: Electric Smoker

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 am

I have always used wood smokers, but sometimes wish I had an electric for some applications.

I don't know what you're trying to smoke, but if you just wanted one for small things, why not build it? http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2008/07/05/the-alton-brown-flower-pot-smoker/

Just a thought.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Big Shoe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Have had a electric Brinkman for yrs. Very simple and a no brainer.It keeps a constant heat that you can't adjust. It is what it is , and a temp thermometer helps you to see what temp it runs on average. No cleaning except racks and water pan.
You should have a good power source because it pulls alot of juice. An outlet away from your house is best and helps to keep the smoke away.If you use an extension cord you need a big one to carry the load. No cord is better.
Elements do rust out after several yrs. and Bass Pro sells them for 25 bucks. Have had this smoker close to 15 yrs. now.

Neighbor gave me brand new charcoal identical to my electric one. I think its a brinkman too. I added an elevated rack to keep the charcoal about 1-1/2 to 2 inches off the bottom and it works 100% better.
Once you master how much charcoal to use it is a great way to smoke. It also has a built in temp guage that helps alot.
The only downside is you have to get rid of the ashes.............No big deal

And buy a cover for it too!
Good luck! :beer:
Big Shoe
hunter

Postby loudnerd » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:41 pm

I bought a ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) from Walmart on sale for around $25 this past summer just to see if I would like using a smoker and I ended up using it more than my gas grill. What I would do is find a few things that I would want to smoke and spend the day running the smoker. I would put a pork butt or something else that took longer to cook in as well as some fresh caught trout or salmon on top and the fish would be done for lunch and then the pork would be ready for pulling right around dinner time. There is actually a website that shows you how to modify the brinkman charcoal smoker to maximize it's potential. I think some day I will either get a much more expensive smoker or even consider building a smoke house but until then the ECB is working great for me.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby Big Shoe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Loudnerd,I installed a rack as posted above. Helps the air get under the coals. Think it was the bottm rack from Weber Kettle that fit right in there.

Also use my Weber Kettle grill as a smoker. Very effective, especially if you have the grates to flip up to add wood and charcoal.

I have two ECB smokers,two Weber kettle grills and two gas grills. The gas grills rarley get used, except for beer can chicken.

My duck breast get nuked on my Webers. :beer:

To the OP, I assumed you were talking inexpensive electrric smokers.
Big Shoe
hunter

Postby aftershox454 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 pm

the place you'll want to look is smokingmeatforums.com-

lots of guys there with experiences and reviews for just about every smoker out there + tons of plans for building your own

my suggestion is gas as that is what i use-
since it gets so cold here in spokane the electric has a hard time keeping up with the cold nad the gas doesn't seem to be bothered too much

Good luck
aftershox454
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking