roasted duck

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

roasted duck

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:05 pm

so I tried the roasted duck 400 degress 45 minutes and was looking foward to the crispy skin that Iv'e heard about the duck was good in a way but the skin was all rubbery and like chewing on a wad of half cooked fat though it looked golden brown ,,WHATS UP???
alanwebfoot
hunter

Re: roasted duck

Postby daffy... » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:48 pm

hard to achieve in a confentchinal (spelling, sorry) much easier in a confection oven. your best bet is to roast at a low temp 300-350. then the last 1/3 of the cooking TURN HER UP! to a hundred or so more deg. also if you brine it, then pat it dry before putting it in the oven youll be.

i do sugary glazes too. so then when they come out they they have a crispy/carmelized
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:30 am

your'e SOOO right hoping I could find some orange marmalade somewhere in the house but no go!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:42 am

ORANGE ROASTED DUCK UNDER GLASS

The way to keep a roasted duck moist is to stuff it with rice. We cook 1/4 cup of wild rice halfway (25 min) and then drain it. Then we add the wild rice to Uncle Ben's and cook the whole rice mixture for 20 more minutes and then stuff the bird with it.
We also substitute some orange juice for water in the second cooking where it's mixed rice.
To clarify... Two cups/OJ water and one cup of white rice and throw in the half-cooked wild rice and pretend it isn't even there.
We call this mixture "dirty rice" but I know dirty rice is something completely different.(We are from Illinois, not Louisiana )

We roast the stuffed duck in the oven in a round glass casserole dish and cover it until the last 30 minutes. We use turkey gravy mix but use 7-up and OJ instead of water to make a cup or two of gravy that we baste the duck with occasionally. You might even place two slices of an orange on top of the breasts until the last 30 min. of cooking when you uncover it.
It takes about two hours for a large mallard that is stuffed to cook at 325 degrees.

When it's done you take the rice out and eat that as a side dish and it's really tasty.

There is no such thing as a really moist duck but this makes it less dry. Almost juicy.

P.s. the skin is nasty, don't eat it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking