Portugese Sausage

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Portugese Sausage

Postby charlie beard » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Anybody on here ever have it?
My daughter lives on the Big Island in HI.She is sending me a bunch for Christmas.
How is the best way to prepare a dish of this?
I know you can eat it as it comes like Polish Sausage.
I am looking for someones favorite dish.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Re: Portugese Sausage

Postby bd1273 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:53 am

Hey Charlie,

Portuguese sausage otherwise known as Chirico is awesome! There are several different spice combinations that people mix in to the sausage from mild to hot, but the basics are always the same. You can do a million different things with it...

-Bake a couple with potatoes in a wine and tomato sauce.
-Cut into small "chip" size pieces, and then fry them up on a frying pan with a little olive oil. You then make up some French fries and a couple of sunny side up eggs and you have a feast on your hands!
-I like to add a link to soup. You cut some sliced holes in the link and it releases flavor into the soup which is fantastic.
-The classic and most popular way to make up Chirico is to make up "sloppy joe" style with peppers and onions. Take 3-4 links and grind them up or chop fine. Add some tomato sauce and other spices to your liking and then chop up fine some green peppers and mix all together. You can also chop up an onion. You can make it up quick in a pan or you can throw it all in a slow cooker. Just take the mix and place it in a bun and you're good to go.

Let me know what you how you make out...
bd1273
hunter

Re: Portugese Sausage

Postby charlie beard » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:30 pm

bd I like it.My daughter sent both hot and mild.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking