roast ducks breast up or down?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

roast ducks breast up or down?

Postby Quackie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:10 am

If I am grilling or roasting a full body duck (with skin on) is it better to place it breast up or breast down?

I assume breast up is better so the fat and flavor from the skin can run down into the meat. I've heard when grilling turkey you place it breast down so the juice will run into the breast, place it breast up and it will dry out. is this an issue for wild ducks?
Quackie
hunter

Re: roast ducks breast up or down?

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:41 pm

breast up. and it is best to take a long skinny filet knife and slide it between the breast skin and the meat on each side... run it along the fat layer between the fat and the meat leaving the fat attached to the skin and loosen the connective tissue. take care not to puncture the skin. this will allow the fat to baste the meat and drain off soaking the meat leaving a crunchy skin that will act like a shell and seal in the moisture in the meat once the fat has basted it. :thumbsup: simple tip-but amazing results!!
and when grilling, use whole birds that still have the tail bone attached like a store bought chicken. this will keep the juices from running out of the cavity and help to keep the birds moist.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Quackie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm grilling a mallard for xmas eve dinner. I will try your suggestion about the skin.

I've done birds before with the tail intact. a nice puddle of juice collects in the body cavity and I can use a turkey baster to suck it out and baste.
Quackie
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 am

Grilling? The question was about Roasting.

ORANGE ROASTED DUCK UNDER GLASS

The way to keep a roasted duck moist is to stuff it with rice. We cook 1/4 cup of wild rice halfway (25 min) and then drain it. Then we add the wild rice to Uncle Ben's and cook the whole rice mixture for 20 more minutes and then stuff the bird with it.
We also substitute some orange juice for water in the second cooking where it's mixed rice.
To clarify... Two cups/OJ water and one cup of white rice and throw in the half-cooked wild rice and pretend it isn't even there.
We call this mixture "dirty rice" but I know dirty rice is something completely different.(We are from Illinois, not Louisiana :yes:)

We roast the stuffed duck in the oven in a round glass casserole dish and cover it until the last 30 minutes. We use turkey gravy mix but use 7-up and OJ instead of water to make a cup or two of gravy that we baste the duck with occasionally. You might even place two slices of an orange on top of the breasts until the last 30 min. of cooking when you uncover it.
It takes about two hours for a large mallard that is stuffed to cook at 325 degrees.

When it's done you take the rice out and eat that as a side dish and it's really tasty.

There is no such thing as a really moist duck but this makes it less dry. Almost juicy.

P.S. My wife would skin me if she knew I was giving away her duck cookin' secrets.
Send a check for 20 dollars to Aunt Betty (Crocker) lol
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:54 am

aunt betty wrote:Grilling? The question was about Roasting.

read it again:
If I am grilling or roasting a full body duck (with skin on) is it better to place it breast up or breast down?

:hi:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:59 am

aunt betty wrote:There is no such thing as a really moist duck but this makes it less dry. Almost juicy.

beg to differ. if a filet knife is used to separate the connective tissue of the skin from the fat (and possible sliding 1/2 a piece of bacon in there...the fat will baste the meat.

and a teal grilled whole on the pit at 325-250 for 50 minutes with pecan wood, injected with cajun injector roasted garlic and herb, with a orange marmelade glaze is as moist as can be. and very good!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:40 am

my bad.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:26 am

your over cooking the crap out of your duck if you believe its dry. when i cook it i can fill a beer can per breast with the most delicous juices known to mankind
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby setterfan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:27 pm

One of my favorite recipes is from the Chicago Tribune and it calls for pan frying duck breast skin side down. The breasts are to be rolled in sugar, salt and pepper. The skin is to be cross hatched with a fillet knife in quarter inch increments. the fillets are to be fried (skin down) for 6 minutes over medium heat, then turned and cooked for 4 minutes over high heat. The breasts are intended to be cooked to no more than medium rare for best results. I split each breast so it cooks more evenly.

I believe the idea is to get the skin and the sugar to carmelize. In any event the result is much like a medium rare steak except with more flavor (and unfortunately a little bit chewier).
setterfan
Newb

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking