Indaswamp's family Redbean Gumbo...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Indaswamp's family Redbean Gumbo...

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:56 pm

This recipe makes about 8-10 gallons of gumbo. scale it down for smaller pots... :thumbsup:

Ingredients:
5 lbs. dried red kidney beans
3 lbs. Andouille sausage
3 lbs. Smoked sausage
3 lbs. Smoked ham
3 lbs. Heavy sugar smoked turkey necks*
2 Bay leaves
~ 1 1/2 gallons of Ham Stock
10 large Vidalia onions, chopped
4 large bell peppers, chopped
1 bunch celery, chopped
1 cup chopped garlic
6 bunches green onions, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste
6 cups plain white flour
6 cups peanut oil**

Prep:
Place beans in a large 4 gallon stock pot and rinse them with cold water 2-3 times. Add enough water to the pot to cover the beans with 2-3 inches of water and let soak overnight (at least 12 hours).
Make a dark brown Roux in a 12 qt. cast iron pot ahead of time.
To cook:
Drain soaking water from pot of beans and refill (Ham stock is preferred here) to 2-3 inches above beans, add bay leaves. In a 10 or 15 gallon cast iron pot, skim ¼ cup of oil from settled roux and lightly fry turkey necks on medium high heat. Remove turkey necks and add to pot of beans, reserving oil in pot for later use. Bring beans to a rolling boil and allow to cook thirty minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid scorching. Reduce to a simmer and cook approximately one hour or until beans are tender. Stir from time to time, as beans will settle to the bottom of the pot as they cook. When beans are tender, remove from heat and allow to cool. In a blender, puree about ¾ of the whole beans and return to the pot. Set aside. In the same black iron pot used to fry turkey necks, fry andouille, sausage and ham until brown on medium-high heat. When the meats are brown, add onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic (add more oil from roux if needed). Saute' 25 to 30 minutes until vegetables are wilted. Add prepared beans. Blend well and cook 15 minutes or until mixture has reached a rolling boil. Pour off or skim remaining oil from top of roux (the oil can be saved to make another roux at a later date if desired) and add 5 cups of settled roux to pot. Boil an additional 5 – 10 minutes until roux is well incorporated into mixture. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 1 hour, then add green onions and parsley. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. If gumbo is not thick enough at the point, add remaining roux. if it's too thick, add more stock or water. Cook 15 more minutes or until gumbo is creamy and remaining whole beans are done. Season to taste with salt, pepper and Louisiana Hot Sauce. Serve over white rice and enjoy.

Gumbo file' is optional-some like it with redbean gumbo... :thumbsup:

*The smoked turkey neck bones are essential to the gumbo. They provide the stock necessary to flavor the gumbo. I sometimes substitute duck stock (made from de-breasted duck carcasses) and any remaining duck meat, along with turkey stock (made from the remains of Thanksgiving’s turkey carcass) and any remaining turkey meat. If smoked turkey necks are not available, smoked turkey or chicken drumsticks will do. I also like ham stock from holiday hams... :yes:

**If peanut oil is not available, vegetable oil will do.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Indaswamp's family Redbean Gumbo...

Postby aboz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 am

Been wanting to make a gumbo so I got all this stuff this morning and am going to try it, looks delicious. :thumbsup:
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 am

aboz wrote:Been wanting to make a gumbo so I got all this stuff this morning and am going to try it, looks delicious. :thumbsup:

I have a smoked duck, goose and andouille sausage Gumbo recipe posted on the recipe forum as well.. :thumbsup: type it in the search function and it'll come up.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:42 am

How dark you make your roux inda? I know everyone is different and I've heard everything from a light brown to a dark chocolate color. Yours looks a little red/brown but could be the camera.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 am

whistlin_wings wrote:How dark you make your roux inda? I know everyone is different and I've heard everything from a light brown to a dark chocolate color. Yours looks a little red/brown but could be the camera.

certain recipes, I use a regular brown roux. for most game dishes and a few others-I use a dark brown roux... the stronger roux can stand up to the bold flavors game bring to the dish...

Take an old tarnished penny and lay it next to your pan...this is the color you are shootin for with your dark brown roux. pull it off the fire before it reaches that color because the heat in the pan will continue to cook the roux a few shades darker as it cools... :thumbsup:
And keep stirring as the pan cools or you'll burn the roux!!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 pm

bump for WTN10

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:39 pm

bump...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking