Gumbo

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Gumbo

Postby lawnboy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:03 pm

I know that this is not a duck thing but I love Gumbo and have no idea how to make it here in Michigan. Any ideas for a easy recipe?
lawnboy
hunter

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:39 pm

I dont know the recipe off hand but there is one as one of the extras in duckmen 7. Ive had the gumbo and it is pretty good.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Hey lawnboy-if I can remember (getting hard @ this age) - I recall having a recipe for seafood gumbo. Let me see if I can remember:
1/4cup corn oil
flour - have to check
2cups h20 + clam juice
1cup cut okra - must have
1 small bell pepper, cubed
Cajun seasoning (to taste)
1tbs hot sauce
1-2lbs shrimp, scallops
The toughest part is the roux. Heat - but don't burn! - the corn oil. Use
very low heat. Sift in the flour, & keep stirring. This takes a good 20 - 30 mins! Be careful. Get that roux as dark as possible w/o burning it.
Next add the liquid. 2 cups. Keep heating. Add the okra & peppers, stir, heating. Then add the seafood, hot sauce, then Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning. Keep stirring.
Have the lady make some white rice. When your gumbo's done, serve it over da rice. Sprinkle some of Chachere's file powder just when you're ready to eat. Laissez les bons temps roulet! :salude: Good for Lent, for those who observe.
I'll check tonight for any mistakes I made. Hopefully I haven't offended any of you fine folks from Louisiana. Apologies, if needed, are sent.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:25 pm

You dun good for a "yank" :tounge: but try this out, its what i use. Krazy Kajun Cookware Recipes/gumbo and Tony Chachere. This is your one stop spice shop!!!!!

There are tons of recipes out there and tons of combos for gumbo so put what you want in there because others taste bud are different, i'm for louisiana so i can handle anything.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:51 pm

Thank you, LAredneck. I like hearing from experienced Cajuns. Keeps me humble. Some day, when I have $ saved, I'm coming down to taste creole cooking as it should be.
lawnboy - I remember my recipe: 2tbs flour & on the seafood - 2cups
Having seen LAredneck's recipe, though... his looks gooooood. :thumbsup: :salude:
macdaddy
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:31 am

Thats why i'm hear, by the time you save up your money the city will be back to normal, happy huntin, happy eatin.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:56 pm

LA, last week our small little company decided to have a luncheon for fat tuesday...Well our financial guy got a great deal on fresh crawfish....so 30 lbs of crawfish got cooked uo...Me? Well I dug right on in pinching the tails out, suckin the good stuff out of the head, meanwhile, the rest of the company was not having any part of them....so when the feast was done..there were still plenty left, so Old C12 took 3 big bags home and cleaned them and added some shrimp and sausage, rice, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, bell pepper some WINE! heeee heeeee and it was awesome. There are times I miss down home cajun cookin for sure....Justin wilson was a hero of mine I Garrentee!!!!!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking