Looking for a Good Beginner Recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Looking for a Good Beginner Recipe

Postby JTR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:06 am

I'm bringing up a bunch of duck breasts to a New Years gathering. I'm looking for a good recipe to try out on some people that have never eaten duck before. I'm a pretty experienced cook, but I need a simple recipe to introduce people to duck. I've done the bacon/cheese/jalapeno thing, but I don't know how that will fly with everyone. Let me know what you have. Thanks.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Re: Looking for a Good Beginner Recipe

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:39 am

I don't think you can beat the jalapeno/cream cheese/ in the "pita pocket" sliced duck breast for a big gathering. I do it all the time and serve them as hors d'ouvres, sliced & toothpicked. I do marinate the breasts after soaking in cold salt water, in the fridge overnight prior to cutting and filling the cavity, wrapping in bacon and grilling, high heat, rare/med rare. Any marinade will do. I also serve a dipping sauce I make. ..... similar to a sweet/hot barbecue sauce. People who have never eaten duck before really rave about it. Don't know about yours, but mine tastes exactly like filet mignon. Last duck I served, I prepared as shish-ka-bobs with jalapenos, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, etc on the skewer. Never do that again. Too much trouble. It was great but took me all day to prepare 12 ducks and wasn't any better than the quick, tried & true "pita pocket" jalapeno & cr cheese recipe!

(how far away from me do you live?.....might want to drop by!!)

Good luck!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking