merganser recipie

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

merganser recipie

Postby groovy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello,
Just got my first duck Sat. I thought i shot a big fat mallard untill I rowwed out to rereive it to discover it was a Merganser .
After all the horror stories i've heard about them tasting bad I must say all you newbies out there if you shoot one don't be discuraged about eating it!!!!!!!

I used a recipie i found on this site basicaly just adding the garic salt to the brine all ya gotta do is :

Soak in salt water and garlic salt for 12 hrs changing frequently.

Then cut into strips and marinade for 6-8 hrs in Speide sauce.

Put the strips on bamboo skewers in an "s" fashion alternating the turns with pickled banana peppers.

grill on a hot CHARCOAL fire untill med rare to med-well done>

To serve pull off the skewers and top with a small strip of cream cheese.

Totaly awsome!!!

My 9yr old and my 11yr old girls asked for more after their first 2 skewers , Had to tell'em daddy's gotta shoot some more!
I know I'll probably get flamed for this but ....
I will definetlly shoot every Merganser I see from now on :thumbsup:
groovy
Newb

Re: merganser recipie

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 am

glad you didn't waste it.

n a chili or gumbo pot, you can't tell the difference. haven't fried one yet, but imagine if coot is good that way they are to.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:11 am

The New York State Waterfowl regulations recommend that you eat NO mergansers!

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby duckhuntnfl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:28 pm

why not?
A stork may bring u a baby but a swallow never will
it was dark.....i was drunk....i thought she was you!!!!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
duckhuntnfl
hunter

Postby aboz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:The New York State Waterfowl regulations recommend that you eat NO mergansers!

Frank

What? that sounds crazy to me. Must be overpopulated, or harming something else.
take em
aboz
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:31 pm

prob mercery. they eat fish. fish absorb it threw polution
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby alanwebfoot » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 am

aggiechiro [sp] x2 yes ,I'm glad you didn't waste it either ,the first duck I tried was a woodduck ,,chewy as a rubber ball and tasted like liver dragged through the mud!!liver alone is bad enouh ,I said if duck is this bad I'll never shoot one ,a friend said you don't know how to fix them ,he was right and now I hunt them AND fix them !!great eating!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby JTR » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

They definitely say not to eat them because of toxins... personally, I think it is b.s. The amount of mercury that a merg can consume from eating minnows all day could never possibly amount to the amount of mercury in tuna or sword fish steak. The big fish are the real mercury carriers since they eat tons of medium size fish every day that ate tons of small fish every day and those small fish ate tons of smaller fish every day.

As a tuna and striped bass fisherman, I catch and eat a bunch of fish every year. If I end up with complications 50 years down the road, it was well worth the cost to play. :yes:

That said, my mergansers end up in the freezer for training birds or made into jerky for dog treats. I shoot enough great tasting birds and I just can't get over the mental block that I have about eating mergs.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 pm

merg, coot, whatever. if you aren't gonna eat it(toxins, taste,...) don't shoot it.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 pm

aggiechiro wrote:merg, coot, whatever. if you aren't gonna eat it(toxins, taste,...) don't shoot it.

X2 - shooting birds protected by the migratory bird protection law ( and game animals) and letting them lay is "wanton waste of game" and therefore illegal.

Alot of guys "NEED" to pull the trigger... hell we all like the satisfaction of whacking a bird but...

If you wont use it, dont waste it!
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:48 am

More importantly, if you are confusing Mergansers for Mallards, you sir need to brush up on your duck ID before the next trip... I'm no expert by any means, but I have yet to confuse those two species, in flight or on the water... Come on man :help:
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby bsracer11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:55 pm

You aren't supposed to eat them because of all of the toxins and mercury in the fish that they eat. Your call though. I choose not to shoot em because they are just wasted.
bsracer11
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking