best eating duck?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby MRIEDEL » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:12 pm

BEST TEAL

WORST BRANT OR OLDSQUAW
MRIEDEL
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:06 am

best -- teal
bluewing77
hunter

Postby C M Wings » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:49 pm

Best - Wood Duck, Canvas Back, Mallard/Black duck.

Worst - Any fish eater, old goose
Ducks
C M Wings
hunter

Postby Ned S » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Wood Duck, then Mallard. Opening day, when I was a kid, it was my job to get two Wood ducks back to the duck camp and later the cabin for my mother to boil with Oinion and Celery for dinner along with small new potatos. The broth went on t he potatos. Ned S
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

duck

Postby jolejnik4bmx » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 pm

i say mergys are the best tasting ducks well you get a cedar plank to cook it on and roast it on the grill throw away the duck and eat the board... heluv alot better tasting! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :yes: :yes:
jolejnik4bmx
hunter

Postby chessie 1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm

My dad used to say that you could cook a merganser for two days and not be able to stick a spoon in the soup.
chessie 1
hunter

Postby Canned Heat » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Mallards and woodies get the nod here....quite often, most of the take. Only had teal a few times...but I didn't make it.

Tough to beat recipe:

* Duck Bites *

1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ suace (or preferred)
1 cup beer...darker the better (I like Leinie's CD)
1 cup Yoshida's Teriyaki sauce

Mix these in a bowl with a teaspoon of garlic powder and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes if you like zippy food.
Add several duck breasts to bowl...so all are covered.
Marinate 8 hours or overnight. Drain marinade. Wrap bacon pieces around duck breast and secure with toothpicks. Grill until duck is done and bacon is crispy....8 to 15 minutes, sometimes longer. (I go by two beers time) depending on grill and heat. Eat quick or they are going to be awol soon.
Reality is a great place....I just wouldn't want to live there.
Canned Heat
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:33 pm

best- GW teal
worst- i like the taste of all ducks but if i had to choose probly merganser
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby Mare_Vitalis » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Best - Teal

Worst - Bootlips

divers normally end up becoming training dummies...
Mare_Vitalis
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:05 pm

Mare_Vitalis wrote:Best - Teal

Worst - Bootlips

That's horrible, hopefully you don't shoot too many of them. Try sending them off to a meat shop and have sausage made out of them. I sent off a few Oldsquaws and some Whistlers this year and it's awesome. they mixed it 60/40 pork/duck it was very good.
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby Mare_Vitalis » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 am

thats a really good idea, never thought about that...but theres nothing wrong with keeping a few birds for training dummies...its not like we kill limits of divers and then throw them in the kennel... just if we get one or two we freeze them and use them through out the year...thats better than stomping them in the mud...

but i want to change my votes

Best - Ivory Billed woodpecker

Worst - Bald Eagle
Mare_Vitalis
hunter

Postby woodie77 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 am

best-woodduck(by far the best) or teal...

worst-spoonie or merganzer...
Ready to get wet and chase feathers
woodie77
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:01 am

captainduckhead wrote:
Mare_Vitalis wrote:

That's horrible, hopefully you don't shoot too many of them. Try sending them off to a meat shop and have sausage made out of them. I sent off a few Oldsquaws and some Whistlers this year and it's awesome. they mixed it 60/40 pork/duck it was very good.

60/40 pork/duck ???? or you could just call in the hogs over decoys.... i let bad tasting ducks live!
bluewing77
hunter

Postby jehler » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:51 am

bluewing77 wrote:
captainduckhead wrote:
Mare_Vitalis wrote:

60/40 pork/duck ???? or you could just call in the hogs over decoys.... i let bad tasting ducks live!

I shoot mainly divers and eat most of them but their diets can vary greatly a redhead is the best duck I've ever eaten but I've also had read heads that smelled a little fishy(not a joke and a joke at the same time ). I eat most of the buffies and whistlers I shoot but if they smell a little fishy or off when I'm cleaning them i slice the breasts up thin salt them lightly with tenderquick and dry them in the oven overnight and use them for dog treats, the dog gets a slice of bird after every retrieve. I have also done sausage and 60/40 is not bad, depends on how fatty the pork is. I just keep the wings for training not the whole bird wire tie them to a dummy and you don't waste the whole bird
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:01 pm

jehler wrote:I shoot mainly divers and eat most of them but their diets can vary greatly a redhead is the best duck I've ever eaten

i'll agree with ya there, i've only killed 1 redhead and it was tasty, probably the novelty of an "exotic" species for me though. i've only had opportunity to shoot at and miss 1 canvasback, but i'd love to cook one up.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Mare_Vitalis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:31 pm

i think that there is a big difference in the diet as they travel down south...i have heard that you cant eat divers at all once they hit the salt marshes...i have cleaned some divers before and thier meat was so stringy and mushy that the breast would not stay together...i dont know if they were sick or old but it was nasty...and using a whole bird as a training dummy is no different than taking one to get mounted...
Mare_Vitalis
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:32 am

agree with most best tastin is mallard, woodie, or gw teal, mergies and spoonies are definately the worst. i enjoy coot but dont cook them like all of my other ducks. they make grea fajitas. and every diver tastes great to me, its all about the preperation. best tastin diver to me is prolly the ruddy.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking