Pork rib rub recipie please

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Pork rib rub recipie please

Postby duckkillerclyde » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 pm

I looked some up on the internet can't find one that I like.

I like sweet and hot combined.

thanks
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Re: Pork rib rub recipie please

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:26 am

Clyde, here's a basic game rub that I like from chef John Folse:

1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup hickory smoked salt (buy this at a specialty store or smoke it yourself)
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 Tbsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbsps. granulated garlic
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp celery salt

you can add more sugar and pepper if you like, mix it up and give it a go-adjust if needed.. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:03 am

I learned most of what I know about BBQ from a West Texas redneck, that I happened to fish and hunt with.

Bob's Dry Rub.
¾ Box Salt
2lbs Brown Sugar
1 pkg Morten’s chili Blend (available in west texas and amazon.com)
Red Pepper & Black pepper to taste
2 can’s dry mustard (don’t use coleman’s) (~1.8oz ‐2oz can)
1 bottle Garlic Powder (small bottle ~2oz)
1 bottle Onion Powder (Small Bottle ~2oz)
2 cans paprika (~1.8‐2oz can)
Mix Ingredients together and store in an air tight container. A fruit jar works good, but a gallon baggie will work if needed.

This makes a lot of rub, so you can half it if you like. He normally buys the tin's of spices, so I wrote approximate sizes since I had trouble finding them. I just make up a bunch and use it ribs, chicken, brisket, smoked fish, etc.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 pm

I forgot to say that I like to put the rub on cook the ribs then put barbecue sauce on them. not sure what style you call it, as I am new to barbecuing.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Are you going to baste it with a traditional BBQ sauce, i.e. the ketchupy kind, or a basting sauce. I would think my rub would work either way, but here is how I do my spare ribs.

I already posted up my rub recipe, but I also use abasting sauce

For Pork Ribs. I normally use spare ribs and you can choose to trim them or leave them as is. I normally get the membrane off the back. So my process for smoking ribs (can probly be done similarly in an oven, just wont' have smoke flavor). First rub down the ribs with dry rub. This can be done 4 hours to 1 week ahead of time, wrap in saran wrap after rubbing down. Longer the rub is on the ribs the better.

Heat smoker to ~230F (I prefer mesquite)
1) Smoke Ribs for 2 hours naked on smoker
2) Baste ribs with basting sauce and wrap in foil. Cook for 1.5 hours
2) take ribs out of foil, swab again with DNS. Finish cooking for 1 hour. Swabbing with DNS a couple of times during cooking. Normally I let the fire die off a bit during this.

This is what I do, but I'm sure you can modify the method to fit whatever it is you want to do.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 pm

GS, do you use a water pan when smoking? some do some don't....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm

I don't use a water pan. I have a horizontal smoker, i.e. a smoker with a chamber and then a side fire box. They are more popular in texas. The wrapping it in foil half way through helps make it tender, since you're essentially steaming your meat at that point, and it also helps keep it from getting too smokey. I believe they call it the Texas crutch and its use is often debated so much to the point of starting fist fights from time to time.

The way I cook brisket is similar as well except I start with lower temps, use higher temps when its wrapped, and then finish it at lower temps. I should smoke a brisket soon, its been too long since the last one.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking