waterfowl temp ?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

waterfowl temp ?

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Anyone know what temp you should cook goose or duck breasts to. I personally like them medium rare like beef, but I have had people tell me thats not safe. I have heard anything from 140-180 with most people saying at least 165. I am getting ready to smoke some breasts and was just curious what you all do. thanks
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Re: waterfowl temp ?

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:09 pm

165 Fahrenheit

www.isitdoneyet.gov

1-888-MPHOTLINE
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby daffy... » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

duck and geese (and blue footed chicken) doesnt carries dangerous food borne illness. eat it raw if you would like.

a safe temperature is 120 deg F . that will give you a nice mid rare
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 pm

165 F unless you want salmonella
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby daffy... » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm

waterfowl doesnt carry it... whats your address, ill send you my serv safe cert.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby duckkillerclyde » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm more so teasing. The link at the top is what I go by.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby daffy... » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:32 pm

all food borne illnesses are killed at 160 deg F. chicken is the only protein that needs to be cooked to this temp. pork is safe at 135, all else 120. though, proper handling beef, duck, goose, some fish can be consumed raw.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:14 pm

Daffy,

wow i thought pork had to be cooked higher then that?? is ground beef different from non-grounded beef because they say ground beef should be cooked to 160? According to what you are saying no wander everyones pork chops are alway dry because they are cooking them to much if you only have to go to 135. Does smoking make any difference cause some people say slow cooking allows bacteria to grow more rapidly? Thanks for the replies
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:49 pm

pork160 F
beef steaks and roast 145 F
ground beef 160 F

smoking makes no difference because the bacteria can't survive the temperature whether it reaches the point slowly or very rapidly
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde

Postby daffy... » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm

beef tartar (ground beef) is served raw. though typically from a nice piece of meat prepare just before service... most ground beef is put under a x-ray machine. doing so kill the bacteria typically found/makes people sick. i wont eat beef further than 130 deg. its just gross. ill eat the tires of my truck before soo.

only old people think pork needs to be cooked threw anymore. pork should be cooked to a nice medium (135), warm pink center. ill cook it too 120 and let it carry over cook the rest of the way on a cutting board. i hate dry pork.

smoking can become dangerous if the protein comes in contact with a food borne illness. cross contaimination happens a lot in uneducated homes and resturants. because it never reaches a temp to kill off the illnesses. smoke does have properties that will kill most bacterias. good example is smoke baths they teach you take in survival classes.

...a good read would be servsafe course book. all high end chefs have to recert. every 4 years in order to hold their postions... not only will it help you with temps it helps you identify food borne illnesses. also tells you the dangers of canned foods, cross contamination
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby loudnerd » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 pm

daffy... wrote:i hate dry pork.

I couldn't agree more. You are WAY more certified than me so you might know but I was always taught, especially with pork chops that quick, high and hot was the way to go. Almost sear the outside leaving the inside cooked perfect and moist (doesn't work on really thick cuts tough). Also thanks for the the safe serve link, lots of good info I didn't know on there.
He who laughs last didn't get it.
loudnerd
hunter

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 am

daffy... wrote:beef tartar (ground beef) is served raw. though typically from a nice piece of meat prepare just before service... most ground beef is put under a x-ray machine. doing so kill the bacteria typically found/makes people sick. i wont eat beef further than 130 deg. its just gross. ill eat the tires of my truck before soo.

only old people think pork needs to be cooked threw anymore. pork should be cooked to a nice medium (135), warm pink center. ill cook it too 120 and let it carry over cook the rest of the way on a cutting board. i hate dry pork.

smoking can become dangerous if the protein comes in contact with a food borne illness. cross contaimination happens a lot in uneducated homes and resturants. because it never reaches a temp to kill off the illnesses. smoke does have properties that will kill most bacterias. good example is smoke baths they teach you take in survival classes.

...a good read would be servsafe course book. all high end chefs have to recert. every 4 years in order to hold their postions... not only will it help you with temps it helps you identify food borne illnesses. also tells you the dangers of canned foods, cross contamination

Listen to this guy.....well said and I agree whole heartedly.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
Fowl-Attitude
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking