Indaswamp's Top-secret Teal Jambalaya Recipe...

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:41 pm

O.K. guys, I'ma give out one of my secret recipes...I'm feelin generous-cherish this one! I have had people fight to get this recipe! (The secret to this dish is to pull the birds out when you put the rice in so they don't dry out. :thumbsup: )
You guys have NO IDEA how many people have wanted this recipe!!!

Teal Jambalaya

6 Whole plucked teal or 4 wood ducks (must have skin on)
2 lbs. cajun smoked sausage (use what you have-but make it a good quality smoked sausage)
salt and cracked pepper to taste
granulated garlic to taste
1/2 cup bacon fat (Do not substitute here :no: )
1/4 cup real butter
4 extra large white onions chopped 1/2 " dice
1 cup celery sliced 1/8" dice
1 cup green onions tops thinly sliced (save white bottoms separate from green tops)
1/2 pod garlic minced
1/4 cup parsley chopped
1 lb. fresh button mushrooms sliced (or canned-I prefer fresh)
Hot sauce to taste
1/8 cup dark brown sugar
6 cups of long grain white rice (not minute rice!)
9 cups water

To cook:
(**pre-heat oven to 325 degrees when the ducks have about 40 minutes left to go before they are tender)
Coat outside of ducks with hot sauce, season ducks well inside and out with salt, pepper and granulated garlic then set aside.
In a large #12 dutch oven, heat bacon grease over medium-high heat. Add sausage and brown on all sides, remove to pan and keep warm. Add real butter to pot and let it melt. Add ducks to pot and brown well on all sides, add a little water every now and then to keep drippings from scorching. remove ducks to same pan sausage is in and keep warm. Lower fire to med., add onions, celery, green onion bottoms (whites portion) to the hot oil. Add 1/2 tsp. black pepper (the black pepper is important at this point for it to cook in and get a deep flavor) and cook until onions are slightly caramelized scraping the meat drippings from the bottom of the pot as it loosens-about 30 minutes. When onions are almost done, take a bottle of hot sauce and shake drops of hot sauce around the inside bottom of the pot along the sides-don't be stingy with it, this will add a nice color to the jambalaya when it browns. Add mushrooms, and stir in. Add meats and water to the pot (IMPORTANT: be sure to mark the water level on a spoon so when it comes time to add the rice you will have the correct ratio) add brown sugar and bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer until teal are tender and leg bone twists in socket...2-3 hours, however long it takes. When ducks are tender, check the seasoning (pepper should be a little strong and "drag" a little down the back of your throat. when you add the rice-it will suck up the pepper.), check the water level and add if necessary to bring back up to your mark on your spoon. Skim the grease off with a large spoon-get most of it but leave about 2 tbps. so the rice will be fluffy and not clump together. Remove whole ducks from pot to a pan and keep warm, leaving sausage in. Add parsley, green onions, IMPORTANT -3 tsps. salt and rice to pot. Fold in and cover. Oven should be hot- place pot in oven for 20 minutes, then pull out and gently fold rice and sausage in pot. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Then remove again, fold once more and return for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and the jambalaya should be perfect. squeeze one grain of rice and see if it is cooked through-if it's still hard in the center, cook another 10 minutes.

I like to leave the ducks whole and serve the whole duck with a side of the jambalaya-but you could debone the birds while the rice is cooking and add the meat on top of the rice for another 5 minutes in the oven to reheat the duck meat. This works and I have done this before...But it's easier just to serve the whole birds on the side. The key is not to put the duck in with the rice and bake it for an 45 minutes as it will dry out severely.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Indaswamp's Top-secret Teal Jambalaya Recipe...

Postby AKPirate » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:05 pm

:thumbsup: :beer:
AKPirate
hunter

Postby MacMan » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 pm

YO INDA. . . reading it makes my mouth water!!! Can you purchase bacon grease? LOL - :biggrin: I remember back in the day every kitchen had a jar/can of it at all times. :wink:
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Ttt
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 pm

TTT for Jones Co. Ducker :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Jones co Ducker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Thank you :thumbsup: Is that basically how you make any jambalaya? Oh man I cant wait to get a few more woodies and for the temp. to keep decreasing
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby Jones co Ducker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Now whats the difference in a gumbo and jambalaya?
WTN10 wrote:Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?

jehler wrote: Beginning of the season cyber scouters, whiney teenage drama queens and zombie trolls take their toll.
Jones co Ducker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Jones co Ducker wrote:Now whats the difference in a gumbo and jambalaya?

gumbo is a soup-with roux added- eaten over cooked white rice.

A jambalaya in more like a casserole...everything is cooked in one pot. And the frying is the most important part of cooking it to make sure the meat is browned and the onions caramelized. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 am

TTT

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking