Side Dishes

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Side Dishes

Postby DRYLOK » Mon May 09, 2011 1:23 pm

I've gotten pretty handy with a grill and the meat itself but never experimented much with side dishes. What do you guys like to serve with your wild game. For simplicity let's just say side dishes for waterfowl. Also on a side note does anyone know how to make home made cole slaw? What is the creamy stuff in it? Gawd I love cole slaw
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Re: Side Dishes

Postby TomKat » Mon May 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Excuse me sir, are you lost? The 2nd amendment area is over there-

I like wild rice pilaf with my ducks...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby DRYLOK » Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 pm

lol Ya well the 2nd amendment issue in IL has been put on hold so we can re-group and try again. Not anything going on that I can talk about right now :no:
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 pm

How exactly are you cooking your duck? If you're grilling already, why not go ahead and grill some corn or asparagus while you're at it?
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Thu May 12, 2011 7:44 am

I never thought of that I guess different sides would be better than others depending on how you're cooking the main course. I guess that's why I never thought about sides because we're always just wrapping them in bacon and flopping them on the grill and sit and eat them till we puke.
Once this spring I did chicken fry some glad rags and had a side of fried potatoes and green beans so I know that works. That's kind of what got me thinking about other side dishes.
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue May 17, 2011 3:25 pm

DRYLOK wrote:I never thought of that I guess different sides would be better than others depending on how you're cooking the main course. I guess that's why I never thought about sides because we're always just wrapping them in bacon and flopping them on the grill and sit and eat them till we puke.
Once this spring I did chicken fry some glad rags and had a side of fried potatoes and green beans so I know that works. That's kind of what got me thinking about other side dishes.

It depends on what you're doing. If you're already at the grill, you might as well grill it all. Depending on the mood, and my gut, if I'm frying things, I may fry all my sides or I may opt to do something lighter to offset how heavy fried food can be. No written rules, but if you're already going to the trouble of firing up a grill or heating up oil for a fryer, you might as well take advantage of it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking