Need easy gumbo recipe

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Need easy gumbo recipe

Postby jmackdaddy62 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 am

I am looking for an easy step by step gumbo recipe if anybody has one. Never made anything like this before but want to try. HAve some alligator sausage and duck to put in it.
jmackdaddy62
hunter

Re: Need easy gumbo recipe

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Need easy gumbo recipe

Postby Frog » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:21 am

Here is a very simple one I have been making the past five years and family & friends love it!

GUMBO

8 to 10 servings
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
3 cups onions, finely chopped
3 bell peppers, chopped
3 quarts cooled chicken broth (canned or cubes)
4 cups diced duck or goose breast in bite size pcs.
2 cups sliced andouille sausage in bite sized pcs.
1 cup of small shrimp
1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 10-ounce package frozen okra, diced
1 can of corn
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
splash of tabasco

FYI-For frozen breasts I thaw out and cube the duck breasts a couple nights before and soak in water with a splash of salt over night to remove more of the blood. Now i pre cut birds when cleaning them that I will use for Gumbo and marked the package "Gumbo" to save some time.

Heat oil in a large skillet or large sauce pan that will hold all ingrediants over medium heat and add duck/goose and sausage. Brown sausage and diced duck/goose pcs. Cook duck/goose to medium done-Do not overcook! Remove duck/goose and sausage from skillet with slotted spoon to leave drippings in skillet. To make rioux whisk in flour and cook until mahogany brown, but not burnt, stirring constantly. Add the celery, garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook for 5+ minutes while stirring. Stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes, thyme, oregano and bay leaf. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 45 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Add duck/goose, sausage and the other remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 more minutes or until duck/goose is tender. Serve over warm white rice and add hot sauce to taste.

Enjoy!
Frog
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking