Plucked duck?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Plucked duck?

Postby kyduck » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:53 am

Anyone got any good recipes for a plucked duck? Being the last time of hunting for the year I thought I would try plucking the game for the day. It was a job :eek:
But, does anyone have a good recipe for a plucked duck?
Thanks,
kyduck
kyduck
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:55 pm

For late season birds I pluck the breasts only then take them off with the skin on. Marinate in Italian salad dressing for about 4 hours and BBQ medium heat. Turning every 15 minutes. Skin goes brown and crispy. Want to take off at medium rare and thin slice against the grain.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:20 pm

My God! A recipe for plucked duck?! Dude, you have in your possession the beginnings of any number of insanely good meals! Depending on what kind of duckl it is and how you want to cook it, you have anything from awesome to sublime.

If it is an especially good-tasting duck (mallard, widgeon, green or blue teal, mallard, canvasback, etc) All you need to do is turn the oven up to 500 degrees (yes, 500) smear the bird with bacon fat or duck fat or lard or butter or olive oil (your choice) stuff the cavity with a 1/2 lemon, 1/2 onion and maybe some herbs) salt it and pop it into the oven for 10-20 minues, depending on the size. Take it our, cover with foil for about 5-10 minutes, unvoer papper it and enjoy!

Another way to do it is to use poultry shears (or big heavy scissors) and cut on either side of the backbone, take out the backbone, flatten the bird a bit and grill it on the BBQ.

SOAP BOX MOMENT: Just whatever you do serve it rare or medium rare!

Enjoy it man, we gotta wait nine months before we'll get another chance! :thumbsup:
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby kyduck » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe...it sounds great and I can't wait to give it a try.
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 pm

how'd that duck go? Roasted a fat gadwall with cranberry chutney last night and remembered why duck hunting is such a fine sport! :salude:
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby kyduck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:37 pm

ok...so the duck turned out pretty good. I did overcook the duck--dang it. It was tougher and dryer than I had expected. The onions and lemons did a real nice job adding some flavor. I really wish it had been more tender and juicier.
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

http://www.tonychachere.com/store/marinades.html Get this and you won't have to EVER worry about dry meat. and man talk about some good stuff, use it for every kind a meat too. mmmm mmm mm
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking