Escarole and Cannellini Beans

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Escarole and Cannellini Beans

Postby vincentpa » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:13 am

This is the recipe I posted on Veggieboards to develop my cover:

Here is my family recipe for Cannellini Beans and Escarole. My family eats this as a main course with whole wheat bread to mop up the juices.

2 to 3 Bunches of Escarole (I grow my own from imported Italian seeds)
2 cups Dried Cannellini Beans
5 to 6 cloves of Garlic finely chopped
6 Tbs. Olive Oil
28 oz. Crushed Tomatoes or equivalent fresh tomatoes chopped and crushed with seeds removed (optional)
3 to 4 Basil Leaves
Sea Salt
Pepper

Soak beans overnight in water. Rinse the beans and place in a pot covering the beans in water, at least a hands width of water over the beans. They soak up a lot of water. Make sure the water is salted. This is very important. The water should taste salty like the sea. When the beans are al dente, drain the water.

Rinse the escarole. In another pot, place the escarole inside with water and bring to a boil. Cook the escarole only until it just starts to wilt. Drain in a stainless steel colander and squeeze out the remaining water. I use a potato masher in order to not burn my hands pressing the water out. If you use a potato masher, be careful not to break up the mash the escarole.

In a large pan, pour about 5 or 6 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute garlic in the olive oil for approximately one minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic. When garlic is done, add the escarole. Stir the garlic and olive oil into the escarole and finish cooking. With a few minutes to finish the escarole, add the beans. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir the ingredients and cook for a few minutes more.

Optional:

I always add a fresh tomato sauce to make this a main course full of all the nutrients a body needs. In a medium pot, sauté two cloves of garlic finely chopped for about a minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and basil leaves. Bring to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. When you add the beans to the escarole, add the sauce as well.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Re: Escarole and Cannellini Beans

Postby vincentpa » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 am

The Veg*ns deleted all of my posts over there except this one. I guess I did contribute to their forum after all.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking