It works, but I wouldn't recommend it as its messier to transport. Also it's tough to do with small birds like dove, snipe, or teal.
1. Lay bird down on it's back
2. Place one foot on it's neck and the other over it's feet and @ss
3. Take your index and middle finger and press them, from the feet side, into the breast cavity. You don't need to break the skin and get into the cavity, just get a good grip
4. Pull straight up using your back to pull.
5. The breast will rip away from the rest of the carcas, with the two fully feathered wings still attached.
6. At this pont you can remove the skin from the breats by pealing it away.
7 Clip one wing leaving the other still attached, wrap in plastic pack in ice and transport.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.